Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #1

SkyTeam paint finish attacked by Fuel

Not sure if this should be in general topics but I have to ask all you experts on motorcycle paint finishes what I can do about a serious problem with my new SkyTeam V-Raptor 250 purchased a couple of months ago.

I filled the fuel tank almost to the top in readiness for a week away in Wales and I towed the bike on a trailer in hot weather not realizing that the hot weather expanding the fuel and the shaking of the bike caused by the trailer in tow at 60mph caused some of the unleaded petrol (Gasoline) to spill out from the filler cap even though it was properly closed and locked. The fuel spillage wasn't discovered until I'd stopped by which time it had evaporated and left horrible dark grey streaks that have eaten through the glaze and stained the paint beneath.

Now I would have thought the Chinese manufacturer would have sprayed the gloss glaze with petrol-resistant lacquer but I'm sure now that they haven't done this. Without delay I found some T-Cut abrasive polish for reviving paintwork but that did nothing to cut into the paint the way it does with old jaded car finishes, because the tank is sealed with this gloss lacquer.

I have tried all manner of remedies but I fear the tank will have to be resprayed. That is a very annoying thing. Who in their right mind designs a petrol tank that has its finish attacked by spillages when such things are highly likely to occur even when filling up with petrol at the pumps where the fast flow is going to fill the tiny tank in seconds?

I have a good mind to send the bike back to SkyTeam for a warranty tank replacement. But I thought it might be best to put this question here to see what folks advise who may have met this problem before.

Looking forward to some advice here please if anyone can push me in the right direction.
Thanks
Plado