Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #1

1969 Kaiser-Jeep M715 w/winch Expedition Truck

Looks like we are going to jump into this one. I recently purchased a 1969 Jeep M715 from a good friend's brother. The truck is currently stored in my friend's very large garage and he has most graciously offered to let me store it and work on it there. Which is an awesome thing to do. Once again, I'm in over my head with too many projects. I've decided to just do the minimum on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler to keep it going. This includes: new rear brakes, a new left fender, a little bodywork, some frame work and new paint for the frame. I may add a 1" body lift too and a Jeep Cherokee steering pump conversion is already in the works.

The Jeep M715 will be used as a tow vehicle/off-road/expedition type truck. I've been wanting a MV Expedition truck for a longtime. This one came along at the right time and for the right price. My first thought was to do a diesel conversion but I have a limited budget on this one. If I hit the lottery tomorrow the diesel is on. However, the diesel is heavy, complicated and the conversion is an expensive one. Nothing is cheap on a diesel truck. I've owned a Dodge Cummins Diesel in the past and it was a money grabber.

My second thought has been a small block Chevrolet conversion. It will work with the stock T98 transmission and drivetrain. That gets me rolling quicker and I can replace the other components as funds become available in the future. Getting it rolling on the stock axles will be the first priority. I may even start by firing up the stock 230 Tornado 6-cylinder. Clearing a workspace is the first order of business. For a longtime, I have wanted to try a propane conversion. I have contacted a company that specializes in this and I'm waiting for a reply to a few question. I have also found a S250 radio communication shelter to use as a camper and Summit Racing is sending new catalogs. The shelter is going to cost me about $1500 but I plan to sell my enclosed motorcycle trailer to buy that. I have no use for it anymore, as all the two-wheeled bikes are gone.

I will update this post with pictures of the truck and of what I am shooting for later. Thanks for your enthusiasm! I love this site!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II