Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #1

Got a title and plates down in Texas

Well I finally did it. Over the Christmas break I was sitting around with my family looking at chinariders. I decided to bite the bullet and spend a whole day just getting my Lifan GY200 dualsport legal. I did a lot of research online before hand just because I knew that I only had 1 day to get all this done. I DID NOT have a Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) or anything. All I had was a receipt or Bill of sell (BOS) Here is exactly what I had to do step by step. I live in Austin

#1 Take a day off work. Get online and get insurance through Progressive. They have Lifan listed under motorcycles. That was the easiest part. It cost me like $77 a year.

#2 Go to any auto shop that does State inspections and get my bike inspected just like I have to do my car every year. They inspected it and it passed. I got my stickers. Because it had never been titled in the US and
MAKE SURE THEY FILL OUT AN VI-30 form and give that to you. They have those and will provide you with it.

#3 Go to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicle Titles In Austin it was 1001 1/2 E Parmer Lane Austin Texas 78753. Take your receipt (BOS) and VTR-130-SOF (Bonded Title Application). they will look at it and give them back. You are only there to pay your $15 (check or cash only) and they will give you a LETTER OF REJECTION.

#4 Take your letter of rejection to a Bonding Agency. The DMV will give you a list of reputable Bonding agencies. I had to pay them $110. This dude will get out his rubber stamp and stamp some papers that he will have you fill out. Takes about 10 minutes.

#5 LAST STEP! Yay! Go to the Tax Assessor Collector 5410 Airport Blvd Austin TX, 78751. Take all this paperwork: BOS, Proof of Insurance, Inspection papers INCLUDING the VI-30 from the inspector,
LETTER OF REJECTION and other papers the bonding dude gave you, (VTR-130-SOF Bonded Title Application) and another check for like $70.

They will type a bunch of stuff in on the computer and then give you your plate and sticker. You are done. You will be totally exhausted after all this and probably weak from not having time to eat but just keep going you can do it!

Would I ever do this again? Hell yeah I would but just because I love riding that much! The whole process is so ridiculously un-streamlined. It's just a joke really. The government has ways to do everything you need to do but you can tell everything is patch-worked together over many years. Also the system makes sure that everyone gets payed along the way. God bless America. After all this I felt like I just passed the BAR exam. Good luck guys!