Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2023, 09:07 PM   #1

Finally got the Templar X on some trails

And I love it. I've been forcing it to be sort of a street bike for months and I really felt it was in its element out there. Dry and very dusty as we've had no rain for weeks. Mud would have been more fun maybe but some of the trails are quite steep so dry was definitely better.
Went with friends and their friends. Had two grandsons with me which restrained me quite a bit. One on an Apollo he bought himself and one learning on my old Honda XL 80. So he slowed all of us down more than a bit. In my case not a bad thing as I am happy to report my X has quite enough power for my skill and ability level. It let me know a couple of times it had enough power to where it could and would quite happily get away from me and hurt me. I like that.

Part of the good feeling was that I was really feeling the powerband on a dusty dirt sort of oval they had next to parking. Used mostly for warming up and showing off. Ripping it up around the end in third gear it felt as natural as my old flat tracker breaking loose and going full power slide. I'm told a few folks saw this and were saying like "Hey, look at the old guy!" Back straight was whoop-de-doos and other end sugar sand so no full laps. Thinking on where I can sneak some in though.

We had a really good day.

Nail in the coffin. The X is a keeper for me. Time to shed one of the other bikes.

Had to transport one grandson a bit after a breakdown. With the extra 80-90 pounds(?) I could really tell it. It went just fine but the extra weight definitely dampened its wild hare feeling. I felt more like I was in tractor mode like my old 14 HP XL175. I'm at 170-175 pounds so people much heavier or lighter than I would certainly get a different impression of its power to weight ratio personality. (Stock gearing by the way.)

Not big on picture taking, sorry.

Old 10-01-2023, 11:53 PM   #2

I had to patch the front tire on the Temp X... Thorn that I had to dig out of the tire. Tough natural spike Where did I ride !

But after I reinstalled the wheel, I finally got a chance to get the Temp X out on the trail again. What a NICE bike. I have to say...the 172-FMM-3A engine makes it a great ride. Way more potential than my body can realize, but ready for me to push the limits.

Bigger jumps, longer wheelies. Nice.

Old 10-02-2023, 02:43 AM   #3

Taking pictures takes time and takes away from the fun. I like to take lots of pictures when working on stuff, but the most I ever do when out riding is maybe when I stop for a break.

Sounds like you had a good time, and that's what matters.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-04-2023, 07:12 PM   #4

Thanks good to know, needing a new bike.