Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2021, 11:50 PM   #1

Aux lights for KPM200

I live in a rural area with LOTS of wildlife, most of which would kill me if I hit it while riding. While I do my best to avoid riding at night, sometimes it has to happen so one of the first things I do to any bike I buy is add some axillary lights to light up the sides of the road and show me what's going on a little further down the way than the main headlight can. There aren't a ton of cars out at night around here so I can usually run them on the highway with no problem.
For the KPM I bought some $30 LED lights from Amazon but needed a way to mount them. I decided the upper fork legs were a good spot so I threw together a design in CAD and 3D printed some mounts. The lights are lightweight and the mounts are overbuilt and printed in PETG so I have no concerns about the durability of the plastic. Anyway, not sure if anyone else with a KPM is a 3D printing geek like me but if anyone else wants the .stl or .obj files I'm happy to share. Pics just have one side mounted for now. The mount for the other side is currently printing. Lights aren't hooked up yet but will be easy to aim. The back of the light does not hit the tank at full lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0418211912_compress63.jpg (168.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 0418211911a_compress47.jpg (153.9 KB, 163 views)

Old 04-19-2021, 01:07 AM   #2

I really like how those turned out.

One handy tip for aux lighting like that, the lower you mount it, the more level you can aim the beam without blinding oncoming traffic and get as much out of the beam distance as possible. I have even seen people mount them at the very bottom of the for legs using brackets that connect to the fender mounts.

I would love to hear what you think of those lights if you get a chance. Always on the lookout for good but affordable options.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #3

I hear ya on light height, unfortunately anything low down on my bikes ends up broken because I live on a dirt road and take several other dirt roads to work. All of the fog light lenses in our cars are broken because of the amount of gravel getting flung everywhere so I have to keep the mounts a little higher. I turn the lights off when there is oncoming traffic so that doesn't cause a problem. I've found on my other bikes that I get a good light blend if I keep the aux lights close to the headlight height, so that's what I've been doing. Certainly different requirements for different people though.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #4

That came out really nice!! Yeah, the light beam on the KPM did leave a little to be desired. Best output is with the high and low beams on at the same time. Would live to see pictures fully illuminated.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #5

Looks good! How many watts are the lights?

Old 04-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Looks good! How many watts are the lights?
They claim 60w equivalent but actual consumption of 10w since they are LED. We will see how they go once they are hooked up. They weren't crazy expensive so if they don't do the trick I'll look for something brighter, but if I can get away with them, I'll be thrilled. I don't need much. Just a bit broader/longer beam than the stock light which shouldn't be too hard.

Old 05-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #7

Those look awesome great job.