Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #1

Quietest muffler for hawk 250

So I got a crf230f exhaust system with no cat but it's loud as hell and the neighbors are probably a bit pissed, what's the quietest muffler for this thing? Preferably that doesn't break the bank or impact performance or jetting much.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #2

P.s. technically a "shark 250" but I'm fairly certain it's the same damn thing.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #3

This is what I got btw
https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Muffl.../dp/B01DO6IBLQ

Old 02-05-2021, 07:13 PM   #4

That's the same exhaust I have.. I guess one man's loud as hell is another's music to my ears as the stock Brozz is embarrassingly quiet

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #5

Ya I mean is there a slip on one that's super quiet tho? I mean it sounds great but I don't need noise violations, the pigs around here are real c*ck suckers. Neighbors alreadade some snide comment. Tried to harass me for off-road tires until I just said "their shinko model 244's and dot certified, am I under arrest or free to go?"

Old 02-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #6

Could you possibly try a DIY muffler repack/baffle install on the current muffler you have?

Old 02-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #7

I think I may have read something about a universal db killer that might work with this exhaust but you may want to research that further unless other posters have more info

Old 02-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #8

You might look around for a used crf230f stock exhaust.
I've got a t-4 FMF on mine and it's not very loud.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 02-05-2021, 10:57 PM   #9

I have basically the same exhaust. I took the Brozz camping over the summer and that was sort of the final straw for me. It is definitely way louder than what is desirable for me. I don't need everyone in a 2 mile radius knowing I'm out for an evening cruise.
One of the biggest regrets I have with the Brozz is switching the exhaust out.
I should have looked harder into doing just a cat delete, and removing the stock exhaust and painting black with a good muffler paint.
That being said, I do much prefer the looks of the aftermarket exhaust vs the stock exhaust with the cheesy heat shields and everything.
So here is what I did:
I ordered a DB killer/baffle, fiberglass muffler packing, and metal zip ties off Amazon. It is a total pain in the ass trying to find a baffle that will fit the common exhaust we use. I ended up finding one that is about 10 mm shy of the ID of the aftermarket exhaust. It came with a bolt and nut and a predrilled hole in the side. I took the bolt and nut off, and threw them in the dumpster. I found a metal tap that would tap threads into the predrilled hole. It ended up being a 5/16 tap. So I threaded the hole, and then I drilled another hole opposite of it and threaded it as well. Then I found stainless bolts at the hardware store to fit the threads I tapped.
I wrapped the baffle in the fiberglass packing, cut to size, and secured with the steel zip ties. I left a little extra packing at the end just under the bolts to seal the little bit of gap left at the outlet. Cut the ends off the zip ties, slid her in the exhaust (after taking the exhaust tip off that secures with three allen head bolts), and tightened my bolts up to hold in place. Installed the exhaust tip back on.
I'm hoping it adds a little restriction to the exhaust, and that it quiets it down at least a little bit.
I haven't fired the bike up yet, as I have it completely disassembled at the moment doing all kinds of other stuff to it over the winter. But I'm hoping it works out ok, and gets the bike to be in a good range of added power, but takes it out of the nuisance zone.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
I have basically the same exhaust. I took the Brozz camping over the summer and that was sort of the final straw for me. It is definitely way louder than what is desirable for me. I don't need everyone in a 2 mile radius knowing I'm out for an evening cruise.
I should have looked harder into doing just a cat delete, and removing the stock exhaust and painting black with a good muffler paint.
That being said, I do much prefer the looks of the aftermarket exhaust vs the stock exhaust with the cheesy heat shields and everything.
So here is what I did:
I ordered a DB killer/baffle, fiberglass muffler packing, and metal zip ties off Amazon. It is a total pain in the ass trying to find a baffle that will fit the common exhaust we use. I ended up finding one that is about 10 mm shy of the ID of the aftermarket exhaust. It came with a bolt and nut and a predrilled hole in the side. I took the bolt and nut off, and threw them in the dumpster. I found a metal tap that would tap threads into the predrilled hole. It ended up being a 5/16 tap. So I threaded the hole, and then I drilled another hole opposite of it and threaded it as well. Then I found stainless bolts at the hardware store to fit the threads I tapped.
I wrapped the baffle in the fiberglass packing, cut to size, and secured with the steel zip ties. I left a little extra packing at the end just under the bolts to seal the little bit of gap left at the outlet. Cut the ends off the zip ties, slid her in the exhaust (after taking the exhaust tip off that secures with three allen head bolts), and tightened my bolts up to hold in place. Installed the exhaust tip back on.
I'm hoping it adds a little restriction to the exhaust, and that it quiets it down at least a little bit.
I haven't fired the bike up yet, as I have it completely disassembled at the moment doing all kinds of other stuff to it over the winter. But I'm hoping it works out ok, and gets the bike to be in a good range of added power, but takes it out of the nuisance zone.
Let us know how it turns out and pics if you have them.. its always good to know that there is in option that works if quieter is the path that is desired for this exhaust.

With a former chopper i had with loud exhaust i read about using stainless steel wool as muffler packing, i tried it and it did help in that application, not sure if it could be packed into this exhaust or not

Old 02-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
So here is what I did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Let us know how it turns out and pics if you have them.. its always good to know that there is in option that works if quieter is the path that is desired for this exhaust.

With a former chopper i had with loud exhaust i read about using stainless steel wool as muffler packing, i tried it and it did help in that application, not sure if it could be packed into this exhaust or not
I was able to fit my stock spark arrestor into the typical aftermarket muffler.. slightly modified, just some grinding on the outside diameter and longer bolts to mount it, but it baffled and quieted down the much louder (but awesome sounding) exhaust note considerably.

I only install it on US Forest areas when I need both more quiet and a USFS spark arrestor in case stopped.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #12

When you say stock spark arrestor, did you take the stock exhaust apart and remove it from there to re-use with modification in the Ebay exhaust?
or is it an aftermarket spark arrestor? thanks

Old 02-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #13

Does anyone have a link to a spark arrestor that will fit on the aftermarket one? Or just a 38mm quiet muffler? I uhh, really thought someone would have made a quiet 38mm muffler by now u know man, lol.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatgm1 View Post
Does anyone have a link to a spark arrestor that will fit on the aftermarket one? Or just a 38mm quiet muffler? I uhh, really thought someone would have made a quiet 38mm muffler by now u know man, lol.
There's a link to one on here:

https://radpaul.weebly.com/brozz-and-hawk-250.html

Old 02-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
There isn't anything about a quieter muffler for that exhaust.