Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

I have a great Idea for all of us to make money and help people get back to work

Ok here it is ,Im not going to make some save America (Canada Too!) for poverty. I was thinking while on taobao how cheap this stuff is .Whats the one problem with china bikes...poor assembly.. I would say. Well what if I/we bought frames and everything and put them together .Now Im saying a Bare bones machine with cg motor because it was built to survive in third world countries with no maintenance.Face it stuff goes wrong with peoples cars cause they are lazy,people ask me why my cars dont break. I try not to give them a dumb look because I take care of my stuff always have.If your poor you learn how to work on stuff and to keep it nice cause daddy wo't buy me a new one.Best education ever! Anyway I mean bare bones no fairings ,disc brakes because of ease of replacement, no battery or electric start, turn signals will be led and a battery like a cell phone battery bank will be used for power that you will take with you.Will provide enough for turn signals headlight brake lights,I say have a thing where it clips in . I say all of us cause each one of us is in a different part of the country.Each one of us has access to craigslist where they can advertise and sell thhe bikes .What place couldn' use a reliable mode of transportation. Now I want to sell this bike for 600. Like 599.99 Now how would we get titles? I live in michigan and we have assembled vehicle titles ,all we do is take it to a state policeman and have him sign and say its safe, take it to secc of state and a green title will be in the mail. I built a kit car and did this it wasnt expensive.Then I could take it apart and ship with title or you can come pick it up. I know a state policeman thats likes my idea and wants to help. How many people could go to work if they could afford to get there and back if we get cg motors and I can clean up the heads and put steel valves in, and polish and port them and put 30mm carbs on and stepper exhaust . I think we would sell a ton of them because we put them together each one of us could have there own little dealerships and maybe more.

motorcycle: lifan dual sport "crankenstein"
Born of parts from all over the globe,laying rubber in a town near you!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #2

big problem I see here is shipping stuff like frames and engines from taobao.... I paid $100 to ship my set of plastics that only cost me $50 to purchase... I can only assume that engines and frames will cost even more....

Old 09-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #3

I thought if I bought enough of them it would equal out, say bought 100. I bet they will give a stellar price for selling 30 engines.
or maybe we can fill a shipping container. If all you had to do was sell and put them together and fix them thats what a dealership does, I want to be bmw and distribute bikes to the dealership

Old 09-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

I believe the cheapest way to purchase parts is to buy fully assembled bikes. I would guess if purchasing a full container, around 40 bikes, I think your cost including shipping would fall in the $900 - $1000 range.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt it work like this. Someone says I am filling contracts to make a motorcycle and it has to come it at this price point.Then they figure out what they can make a bike with the parts on hand .Now I want these bikes to be super cheap and high mileage. I think i could build one for 600. But without making a bunch would not be profitable. I think to get this off the ground I'll need to make fast bikes first.Carroll Shelby was a chicken farmer. I see so a shipping container would be 900 to 1000,I wonder how I would buy a container ? I would have to go over to set something up I'm sure and I could not bring 10k into country,or leave with it .

Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #6

Nope anyone to my knowledge can buy a container of bikes from Alibaba but the logistics are huge.

http://wholesale.alibaba.com/wholesa...ext=motorcycle

/

Old 09-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #7

And the biggest killer of deals going is the US government. To license and plate these bikes they need to be EPA and DOT aproved. Even if you could get them for free your customers could not use them. Actually I doubt if you could even get a non EPA stickered bike thru customs. john

They do get 40 year old vespa's from vietnam thru but as an antique and one or two at a time. New bikes need vin numbers and approvals.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #8

a 20' container cost in the $3k range if I remember correctly, and more (but not double, again, if I remember correctly) for a 40'--maybe $4500? Whatever you can get in one (and it has to be legal), will ship--"If it fits, it ships..."

The biggest problem is EPA certification. The bikes would have to go through certification to be street legal or off-road legal. If we put them together here, they still need certification. The engines would need to be EPA legal, and since the EPA cracked down in the later 2000s, it would be difficult to find EPA legal engines as parts. My guess is, existing companies' engines shipped as replacement engines would have EPA certification (for warranty or repair), but engines by themselves would be difficult to come by from these companies, let alone stand-alone engines.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #9

And you still have to get the container off the boat and to your location. Your idea sounds fun but the logistics are huge. You will need some sort of business address with a capable loading dock. I am sure there are places near docks where you can transfer the pallets from container to truck but again more logistics and lots more money.

/

/

Old 09-15-2015, 03:23 AM   #10

I put my kit car on the road in michigan without a dot sticker? no epa sticker ? I see what your talking about .Parts dont need stickers if I got parts and put them together here and got them titles in mich like i did with my dune buggy. I realize this will suck for me ,but I can take a hit to help some people out. I'm not looking to make a million dollars ,I will be happy with 300 extra a month and the satisfaction of knowing someone will be able to move up in the world or feed their family.When they can , they sell it back to us . I refurbish it a resell to the next person who needs one. I also want to maybe buy bikes and put those motors on them .That might be a better idea! We could buy those on tao bao I bet a shove a ton in a container and bikes ,there are tons in my town or maybe get wal mart or cost co to donate bikes they don't sell as tax write off because I used to work at a wal art and they have all those bikes around because they dont send them back.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #11

buy a 40ft container of bikes on FOB tianjin. You pay the freight cost for the container inbound to be offloaded in long beach. then you need to pay customs. customs will assess duty on the sale price of the contents of the container. they will also charge merchandise processing fee and harbor maintenance fee. You will need to work with a freight forwarder and customs broker to file the ISF for security. from long beach it can go rail to wherever. then you get a 40 ft container and a shit ton of chinese bikes. not saying it cant be done, but there are definitely costs you need to plan for and work on the "total landed cost". in freight, everyone gets a cut.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #12

Maybe you could get some one at CSC to divulge what the fees were to get the RX3 certified in 50 states! Which most certainly were a lot less than if the maker was other than ZONG.

Getting one or two bikes in and licensed is one thing and would still cost more than you could buy one at a regular distributor.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #13

i see what you mean maybe I can just refurbish bikes then .

Old 09-27-2015, 11:52 PM   #14

That's a good idea. Buy cheap, repair, flip, repeat.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer