Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Bashan Storm 250 Build log

I've been lurking on this forum for several months gleaning valuable information thanks to everyone's input.

I was originally exposed to Chinese bikes a couple years back while in Belize for a month long clinical rotation. While there, a fellow student and I rented some 200cc enduros to explore Belize for a weekend. The bikes were reliable and were perfect for a mix of trail and road riding. We rented them from a nice lady named Emma who I believe is originally from the Netherlands. Here's a link to the rental location: http://www.alternateadventures.com/rent_a_ride.php

After the experience in Belize I often thought of how enjoyable the bikes were. Fast forward to a year and a half later my buddy and I were talking about purchasing some bikes we could use to explore the countryside. I quickly thought of the Chinese bikes and suggested we do some research. He and I have been researching over the last several months and finally decided to purchase two Bashan Storm 250's from SuperiorPowerSports.

The primary criteria when deciding which bikes to purchase were 1. price 2. dependability 3. utility. I already have a dedicated street bike that has been perfect however, I've always wanted a dual sport. I love Japanese bikes but just didn't want to spend $5-6,000 on a new bike.

After 2.5 weeks of waiting for the delivery of our new Bashans I finally received a call from the delivery driver stating he was 20 minutes away; fortunately I had the day off from work. I called my buddy who immediately raced over to meet the delivery driver. Once the bikes were wheeled into the garage we flipped a coin to determine which bike would be assembled first. Mine was selected so we quickly removed the bike from the crate. In a short period of time we were able to mount the rear shock and the front wheel.

Unfortunately there are no assembly directions and I don't recall seeing any directions here on the forum; if there are any please point me in the right direction. We're pretty hand but it would be nice if we could save some assembly time. We noticed many of the bolts are the same diameter but are different lengths so there will likely be quite a bit of trial and error. Also, I would appreciate any advice on the sequence of the build, i.e. which major components to mount and/or finish first.

In regards to the condition of the 1st bike, we've looked over the plastics and finish of the bike and so far we've seen no sign of damage.

The seat removal method didn't seem obvious; it looks like some of the plastics might have to be removed but that seems a bit cumbersome. Any suggestions?

Click on this link to check out my photo album of the build:
https://goo.gl/photos/yYGjUm3u46UPUwGi7

I'll be posting more pics and perhaps some videos of the build as it progresses. I hope this can be of use for someone considering a purchase.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

Welcome. Be sure to check YouTube for assembly videos. You don't necessarily need videos for that specific bike. All the China bikes pretty much go together in a similar fashion.

/

Old 04-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #3

Welcome!!!

I have a Bashan Storm and before I had fully assemble the front, I decided to check and grease the steering head bearings. If you do so, be warned, they are loose balls in the races.

But the plus to this was I did not feel like the bike turning radius was tight enough, and there was plenty of gap between the fork tubes and gas tank. I decided to grind the steering stops for more turn, so glad I did that.

When they did a first assembly of my bike before shipping, they put the speedo drive in wrong and bent some parts, check that.

Cable routing was all trial and error, zip ties and lube each cable.

Kick stand spring was tough, get a brake spring tool.

Other than that, the rear rack was a bear to align, and I did not use many of the bolts, and there did not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the lengths etc. The metal grommets and bushings for mounting the speedo was trial and error, what should have worked didn't etc. and never really did seem like the best setup.

Blinkers, fenders, brakes etc, all seemed easy enough.

You may want to change the oil and use a good mineral based oil for break in. Also, lots of mention of changing fork oil and brake fluid.
Be a Piggy!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag00 View Post
Welcome!!!

I have a Bashan Storm and before I had fully assemble the front, I decided to check and grease the steering head bearings. If you do so, be warned, they are loose balls in the races.

But the plus to this was I did not feel like the bike turning radius was tight enough, and there was plenty of gap between the fork tubes and gas tank. I decided to grind the steering stops for more turn, so glad I did that.

When they did a first assembly of my bike before shipping, they put the speedo drive in wrong and bent some parts, check that.

Other than that, the rear rack was a bear to align, and I did not use many of the bolts, and there did not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the lengths etc. The metal grommets and bushings for mounting the speedo was trial and error, what should have worked didn't etc. and never really did seem like the best setup.

You may want to change the oil and use a good mineral based oil for break in. Also, lots of mention of changing fork oil and brake fluid.
Brilliant ,grind the stops, simple mod and very effective paint that bear metal of course.

Dearth.. I would pay attention to this wiring ball. I didn't take care and I chewed up a few wires tangled in the stops. Spend a little time with that rubber boot and tape it all up tight to stop any wires from going places they shouldn't be.

You won't get it all addressed in the first assembly session. I was still fixing things 2 weeks in!. And mind that engine break in period, taake it easy mann.

Then comes the farkles
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. Any tips on removing the seat? It looks like I might have to remove some of the plastics in order to do so but I don't want to take them off it isn't necessary.

I would like an improved turn radius so I'll most likely grid the stop down a bit.

I was able to get the kickstand spring installed with a screwdriver but it was difficult to say the least!

I've heard a lot of good things about Rotella, is that what you used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag00 View Post
Welcome!!!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #6

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

You are receiving good advice; I don't have anything to add.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #7

Check the valves too, good peace of mind knowing that they are in spec.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:15 AM   #8

Welcome!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearthvader View Post
a fellow student and I rented some 200cc enduros to explore Belize for a weekend. The bikes were reliable and were perfect for a mix of trail and road riding. We rented them from a nice lady named Emma who I believe is originally from the Netherlands. Here's a link to the rental location: http://www.alternateadventures.com/rent_a_ride.php
Interesting business model--charge high prices to tourists to daily rent Chinese bikes...brilliant! Not to disparage the bikes by any means, but as we know how much they actually cost (even in Belize where they costs hundreds more than what we get them for in the US due to tariffs and such--same story throughout south of the US/Mexican border) vs. how much they are charging, this can only happen in a few places, and obviously Belize is one of them.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Interesting business model--charge high prices to tourists to daily rent Chinese bikes...brilliant! Not to disparage the bikes by any means, but as we know how much they actually cost (even in Belize where they costs hundreds more than what we get them for in the US due to tariffs and such--same story throughout south of the US/Mexican border) vs. how much they are charging, this can only happen in a few places, and obviously Belize is one of them.
The prices seem high at first glance; however, they seem to be in line with local prices. What I mean is we looked at car rental prices and they were sky high! In addition to the bikes she equipped us with helmets, a cell phone and a map and was very helpful pointing out interesting places to visit. Fortunately the bikes never had mechanical issues but she offered to meet us anywhere in the country to fix the bike if needed. It was amazing how much of the country we were able to visit in two short days.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #11

All of my bikes drink Rotella 15W40.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

I was looking through their rental page when...

Old 04-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq1991 View Post
I was looking through their rental page when...

That's unBelizeable!!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #14

LOL thumbs up on that one.
btw, can't recommend belize enough if you guys get the chance . ocean coastal reef equal to anyones, pleasant english speaking population. reasonable prices, seriously beautiful rainforest/jungle. wonderful inland highlands, wildlife extreme, only real negative, are the hurricanes when you literally want to run like hell to the inland highlands.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #15

Build update and MCO

A few updates from the build. My buddy and I finished assembling the 1st of 2 Bashan Storms last Friday. The assembly process was straightforward with no surprises. I must say I have been impressed with the quality thus far. We loosened most of the nuts/bolts, especially those which are a must for safety and applied Loctite; however, we found there were only a few loose nuts and none of those would have posed a safety issue. All the required nuts, bolts and additional hardware were included.

We made the decision to remove the fork tubes in order to grind off some of the turn stop so as to improve the turning radius. We were surprised just how easy it is to remove the forks.

After putting some gas in the tank she turned over right away. An interesting note about the battery, it was not necessary to charge it after filling it with the supplied acid. At first there was no combustion so I made sure the choke was on but still no success. Eventually we figured the bike would probably start a little easier if the carburetor had fuel--we forgot to turn the fuel valve to the 'on' position. Of course she fired right up after turning the valve. After a minor adjustment to the idle screw she idled with no added throttle.

If any of you considering purchasing a Chinese enduro I would suggest you highly consider the Storm 250 as the quality is better than expected and the price is awesome! In addition today we received the MCO's from SuperiorPowerSports and much to my delight they do not state the bike is 'off road' but states 'motorcycle' as the body type. I plan to register the bike later this week. I'll be sure to let you guys know how the process went. I'll also include some pics of the finished build.

Name:  Origin_certificate.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  90.9 KB