Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #1

Minor Project

Well, after some guy like Doc got done working some 'medical magic' on me Thursday evening, I'm off next week for some light projects and a lot of sleep.

I figured since the X-Moto isn't street legal here in the PRK....I'd 'strip it' like we used to do to the old Yamaha Enduros when I was younger. After all, I think it would make more sense that I nicely remove all the lights, blinkers, mirrors, etc and store them safely in a box in the shed, for possibly selling the bike later...., than to have Mrs 2LZ remove them, one at a time, on her favorite trail. 8O

I already got the hand guards and something I can use as a rear fender tip, once I remove the integrated tail light assembly. Just got a number plate to hide the wiring after the Darth Vader headlight, gauges, etc...are removed.
I am keeping the rack on though. It holds the milk crate for picnics!

Looking forward to a little puttering, on my own schedule.
I'll take some pics along the way.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 AM   #2

If you have time, please take lots of photos, 2LZ. We can learn a lot about the dual sport components of a motorcycle as we watch you convert your X-Moto into a dirt bike.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #3

I hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you're still able to stay busy.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you're still able to stay busy.
Yup. Worked on the X-moto yesterday. Do an hour of wrenching....got my camping recliner next to it. Nap. Ice bag.
Seems like a winning combo!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #5

Well shoot! :x Now what am I gonna do with the rest of the week! This project is done and I can't ride! :evil: Already fixed the plumbing Easter Sunday like a moron, not thinking I'd be having 'downtime'! :x

Oh well....I'll find something. In the meantime....

Here's the whole bike, pre-project. Nice, clean little D/S....that is not road legal here in the PRK. No reason to have all the weight and stuff hanging off, I thought.

The original Darth Vader headlight/bar mess.

I was able to remove everyting from the front, including the switch cluster from the left side. Fortunately, the Chinese were nice enough to leave just the stop switch and start button on one small switch cluster on the right side! It left a mess of wiring, that I could have removed...but I wanted it convertable again for possible future use.

Luckily, it stashed nice and cleanly inside the provided boot and zip-tied right to the bottom of the switch!

The old view from the driver seat.

The new, much cleaner view!
I was also very fortunate that the Chinese left both the choke and ignition switch on their own brackets! Made it very "Mrs 2LZ Friendly"!

To The Rear:
This entire, massive assembly had to go. Luckily, it came right out and the wiring, like all the rest, tucked away beautifully! I also saw that something had to happen with how far down the tool case hung.

What to do with this ugly square hole? It didn't reach past the rack then either! :x Being a China Rider (cheap), I had to come up with something.

TAHDAH! Trying to be more 'green' these days, i 'recycled' the fender tip I cut off the Q! A couple slits and a small hole for a mounting bolt and nut, VIOLA!

Finally....I cut a little over an inch off the tool case mount, redrilled and remounted. Much better. Have to make it look "Max Ground Clearance" now that it's a dirtbike! :wink:

10+ pounds of unneeded fat! That's not even counting the huge amount of weight I saved getting rid of the stock bazooka and putting on the FMF TCII! 8O

All done! Much cleaner, don't you think!? Far less things to break off too! The Acerbis matching handguards worked great, as always and the number plate I ordered is for a Honda CR 125. I figured, 'close enough'!
I think Mrs 2LZ is really gonna like it! Less cumbersome, for sure.

Now I just have to find something to do for the next 6 days.....without riding! :x

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #6

Well done and thanks for sharing the great pictures!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #7

Very nice! Sort of what I'm aiming for with mine, looks like you did it alot quicker than me too! :oops:

Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Well done and thanks for sharing the great pictures!
X2! Start a new thread for you new project!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #9

It looks great! Now it's time to lace aluminum rims onto those hubs. That'll shed a couple more pounds and make them less likely to bend.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
It looks great! Now it's time to lace aluminum rims onto those hubs. That'll shed a couple more pounds and make them less likely to bend.
I think this little guy has had about all the upgrades it's going to get!
Time to finally do some riding. The odo doesn't have many clicks on it but the speedo assy is toast, from the start. Tops out at about 8 mph, wide open in 5th! Sometimes it wouldn't move at all.
We've only had the bike out about a half dozen times in our OHV park. The actual mileage estimate is probably about 300. It didn't get used a lot because we were still riding the Hensims, which the last one I just sold.

I think the only thing I may do is carve the seat down, if she feels it may still be a bit tall after we go out again. Right now, in the garage, she says it feel good.

2009 Q Link XP 200