Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Husaberg FE450. The Ferrari of dirtbikes

A patient of mine and I went riding today. I rode the LXT, he rode the Husaberg. OMG can that bike rock! WAY too fast for me, but it was fun. $7,000 would buy 1/2 dozen fun Chinabikes. One for each day of the week!

Here's Merle with his Honda minivan and nifty hydraulic bike carrier. He is actually WAY more OCD than I am. I won't go into how the HB was detailed, with Armorall on the tires, applied between the knobs with a Q-Tip... 8O

The HB getting dirty.

The humble LXT getting the job done.

Enjoying a Spring day. The green is going away already. Desert brown here we come.

FastDoc tearing it up on the HB.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #2

I want your opinions, this may be an interesting discussion.

Merle bought the HB without speaking to me, indeed before he knew I rode dirtbikes.

He NEVER rode a bike in his life. Street, dirt, nothing. Never. :!:

His buddy talks him into a KTM/HB and he goes to the local dealership. He says he does not know how to ride a bike but wants the best. Merle has money and has good taste...

The HB guy is then happy to sell him a $7,000 competition level race bike, and $1,300 in gear to go with it.

He's in way over his head. He can hardly shift gears and balance, much less ride a 40 HP fuel injected 240 pound racebike on the dirt. Did I mention he's all of 5'8" and can't touch the ground? :?

I'd have sold him The Dirt Rat for crying out loud! Or one of Andy's Q's!

I'm not saying it should be illegal but I think it was immoral to sell this guy the HB.

What say you all?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

Cool - Once again thanks for taking us all on your rides Doc - Definatley a enjoyment checking your pictures. That Bike is strickly a Trail Bike? I see no plates turn signals etc.....Wow Armour all between the Nubs? WOW....I bet he'll go home and take another qtip to it.....LMAO Jape was always telling me to go get some mud on my tires!.....I Have and haven't washed it yet. Kinda unuasual for me, becuase I do like to keep my bikes clean. Anyways thats cool that you got to ride it and she how it rode....Be safe out there!......and thanks for sharing your experiences.
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #4

So I had him park the HB and took him out for an hour on Roger's daughter's mid 1980's XR100's. He had a blast. The HB scared him and he did not enjoy riding it. At least on the XR's he had fun, learned, and was safe.

We looked pretty silly on a pink and a lavender XR though. :oops:

Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #5

Only a pleasure, Andrew, I'm glad you like the pictures.

I 'scolded' him about the Armor All thing, that he won't be doing again...

The HB is dirt only, no plate.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I want your opinions, this may be an interesting discussion.

Merle bought the HB without speaking to me, indeed before he knew I rode dirtbikes.

He NEVER rode a bike in his life. Street, dirt, nothing. Never. :!:

His buddy talks him into a KTM/HB and he goes to the local dealership. He says he does not know how to ride a bike but wants the best. Merle has money and has good taste...

The HB guy is then happy to sell him a $7,000 competition level race bike, and $1,300 in gear to go with it.

He's in way over his head. He can hardly shift gears and balance, much less ride a 40 HP fuel injected 240 pound racebike on the dirt. Did I mention he's all of 5'8" and can't touch the ground? :?

I'd have sold him The Dirt Rat for crying out loud! Or one of Andy's Q's!

I'm not saying it should be illegal but I think it was immoral to sell this guy the HB.

What say you all?
All I can Say is WOW! Where ever this dealer is - I would never ever ever recommend anyone to them. Purely money hungry. WOW - I can understand about not touching the ground, but then again I NOT e beginner rider by no means. I overcame the "q"'s height with mods, but WOW - That inexperienced and Having all ithis is definately WAY Over his head. Maybe if he's got the money put the Husaberg aside get a CHEAP cb like a "Q" and start practicing everything......Evently he can feel more comfortable with this race bike. Maybe. Sell the CB Down the road and use the money for some MODS on the HB? I don't know about this, but shoot that dealership - They are really gold diggers.....Wow.....
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #7

Unfortunately Doc....business is business. If your friend was sold that monster....which we both know it is....and he bit and decided as a grown adult.....that's his deal. As far as the saleman is concerned, he'll either be riding it or be parking it in his garage and pointing at it with his friends for months to come.

This doesn't bother me as much as the 19 year old guy who buys his first bike....a GSXR 1100. In my 'cruiser trips' all summer long, I see these guys getting scraped up with snow shovels all season long.

The PRK has the most stringent rules and regs on this type of thing but unfortunately, you can't save someone from themselves....nor do I want some government saving myself from me.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #8

I'm with you 100% 2LZ. I don't want any laws against it, or govenment intervention. I just think it was uncool.

For what he spent on his riding gear he could have bought The Dirt Rat and had a fun and safe year or two, then moved up to a KLX then maybe a KTM/HB. :?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #9

The dealer's scruples aside, Merle's obviously diggin' his new bike.

I recommend that he park it for awhile and get a smaller bike for awhile to get his bike legs. He can graduate to his HB after that.

Have you chatted with him about lowering the bike? He should be able to get a lowering link and also drop the triples.

You're a good friend to him Doc. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #10

I agree; Merle needs to practice riding a smaller bike. I also think the dealer was unethical. :evil: We all recognize the Latin aphorism, cavet emptor, "let the buy beware." Indeed, we need to be careful whenever we purchase anything. However, I still think its immoral, and greedy, for a dealer to sell that Husaberg to a complete beginner. :( Nevertheless, Merle now owns the bike, so the deed is done. Therefore, he should practice on a smaller bike, and gain the required skills so he can properly enjoy his new Husaberg.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #11

Wow! I've never seen a riding outfit match the bike so perfectly before! I agree with everyone else, he should get himself a much smaller trail bike for starters until he is a proficient rider, then move up to the Husaberg. I don't know much about Husabergs (correction, I know nothing about them!) but if it actually is a race bike he might never be happy with it. Judging by the photo I'm guessing that he's in his early 50's? Not really an age I would be buying a race bike at unless I was a pro rider and intended to race it. He might be best off selling it or trading it on a "normal" bike? The long of the short of it is his dealer saw a blank check and took advantage of it, happens all the time I'm afraid. Gotta say though, sharp looking bike and cool outfit!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #12

Doc, I agree what the dealer did was wrong. I would be uncomfortable on that bike. Sounds like he needs a crf230l or a Q with some upgraded tires.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #13

A TTR230 would also be an excellent choice.

BTW, TurboT purchased a YZ250 as his first bike with no prior riding experience. He learned how to ride it and he has a great time on it. That said, he's a giant.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The dealer's scruples aside, Merle's obviously diggin' his new bike.

I recommend that he park it for awhile and get a smaller bike for awhile to get his bike legs. He can graduate to his HB after that.

Have you chatted with him about lowering the bike? He should be able to get a lowering link and also drop the triples.

You're a good friend to him Doc. 8)
That's what I'm thinking. Maybe an XR200 or better yet a Q. He can ride it on the street around town and get used to riding a bike! Also he can ride it to the area trails and not go through the 20 min plus process of installing the hitch and getting the bike on and off it.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #15

Can't be done. Linkage-less rear suspension. Go figure. All the tech this bike has...

He has already had the seat cut down... :?