Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

The truck i used to have

I had a "project bastard" back when i was 16-18 it was a $100 91' 2.8L v6 S-10 that was practically given to me DOA as a project.I Made it purely for going at ridiculous speeds down gnarly dirtroads.

The truck itsself looked like a joke, truck all rusted out and the interior was fubared.I never fixed the cosmetics but i rebuilt ALL suspension and steering parts, single leaf in the back, custom springs and adjustable,doubled up shocks in the front. Front and rear swaybars. disc brakes all round(and a adjustable pressure control).Never really needed more power then the 2.8l.Because with the 2.75 rear end it would go 65mph @5kRPM in 2nd and never quit spinning till 3rd.im sooooo lucky that truck didnt kill me :twisted:

People could not belive me when i told them i didn't touch the engine (TBI) only rated at 120hp new at 200k miles and 90PSI of compression i bet it was only making 100hp. Well, the exhaust and air breather did help just a tiny tad.But i could steadily spank 280hp V-8s in 1/2 ton trucks. on the 1/4mile asphalt. Or dirt it didnt matter. It was made to handle the roughness of sliding through ruts and potholes at 40mph and boy did it never broke anything in the frame/suspension

I watched my friend get the front end ~7feet in the air then slam back down.It exploded the cheap tire on one side and busted the windshield but thats it! meanwhile i had a stupid friend thrashing his 2004 chevy 1/2ton and he snapped a balljoint while following me down a fast straight stretch.

I guess my point is, if you want a truck for thrashing look into s-10's they kinda suck for using as a daily driver on asphalt but they live for the dirt.You can find them everywhere for real cheap in USA and there is some performance parts for the 60* V-6's All the suspension/frame/important stuff is built just as heavy as a 1/2 ton but with 2/3 the weight on top

anyone else ever build a dirtroader?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #2

Nope, but it sounds like fun.

I bought a China atv for pounding on. Worth every penny.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #3

ok i found a pic with the truck in it. since 99% of my pictures got lost when my laptop quit working.

Not much of a pic i know, But it gives you an idea of how ugly it was
no,I did not drive with the camper on, i think this pic was when the clutch was out of it.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:29 AM   #4

Just like Rangers, you can pound those into the dirt. They even accept small blocks without too much fuss.

Whenever I see one in stock form, I think of the line from Arnold in T2: "This is the vehicle's top speed."

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Just like Rangers, you can pound those into the dirt. They even accept small blocks without too much fuss.

Whenever I see one in stock form, I think of the line from Arnold in T2: "This is the vehicle's top speed."
I drove an 85 s10 with the 1.9L. It did top out a 65mph. Down hill.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to kmoore
lol add ground fx and a tonnu cover and your lookin at 55 mph downhill with a strong tailwind lol

Old 01-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

yea,rangers are tougher then s-10 my mom had a 2.3 I4 make it to 300K miles(with about 60 psi compression but no problems starting)but it toped at about 70 @ 4krpm it was a 88'4wd and was a bit of a deathtrap above 35mph Oh yea, the thing that finaly killed it was my sister driving in 4wd on asphalt for 100miles :X locked up the transfer case and shelled the tranny. she was going 25mph and locked up all 4 wheels.....she was lucky.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #8

In the family, we had a 88 S-10 and a 94 S-10. Both were bare bone trucks. No A/C, sticks, Am radio, I-4 bangers, but both lasted a long time, were pretty maintenance free and always did the work they were asked to do. They were great as long as you didn't want to go over 60mph, listen to music, or stay cool in a hot Missouri summer :wink:

Old 01-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #9

We upgraded to another 85 with the 2.5l and power steering after the frame failed on the other one. Many years of MN winters and a half ton load of scrap metal didn't agree.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #10

One big downfall of the 60* V 6's is the horrible gas mileage. at best, going down a toll road you get 24mpg with the way i drove it was more like 12mpg

Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #11

I don't get 24 with the 4cyl.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #12

Well, instead of trading in my S10 this week, I've given it some TLC and will drive it another year. Heck....it's paid for.
It's my second one and have worked on many 'back in the day' when I was a mechanic. (Glad I got out of that now!)
Presently got an 02 with 115,000 miles, a 4.3 V6, 2WD, 3 door unit. Runs perfectly and here in The PRK, passing SMOG is huge, as it does.

I love the power of this one. TONS of grunt. Spins the rear wheels in nothing flat. VERY quick for a V6.
My last one was a 4 cyl 2.0 unit with a stick and regular cab. Hippies in VW vans were passing me and flipping me off on uphills with that one. It was an SLT where my V6 is a base model. Really makes a difference in comfort and quiet, especially. This one is a work truck. Not even carpet.

I'll say this between the two.....neither got 'great' mileage..... For the tons of extra power.....I'll take the big V6 over the 4 popper for 4-5 miles per gallon difference. I don't care what they're rated, that's what it boiled down to. I barely have the weight of my foot on this one and she jumps. The 4 cylinder I was always in to with the foot.

With that 2.8 you got.....I'm totally SHOCKED you haven't grenaded a motor from an intake coolant leak. I was replacing those about 2 a month at about 60-90 thousand miles when I was a wrench. Even super babied, family Blazers. EGR would super heat one side of the aluminum intake and warp it a tad to seperate the gasket.....letting coolant leak into the valley. BOOM! Rod knock and whipped cream in the oil.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #13

It sounds like a cast intake would have been a better idea.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #14

The 4.3L was a far superior engine. You should be able to get many more years of service from that S10.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #15

Even though I have a Ford I really like the 4.3 Vortec. Strong, reliable, and gives great economy compared with my 4.0 OHV Ranger. My buddy has a Blazer with it. I greatly prefer the ride and driving position and space of my Ranger to his Blazer, but he's got the nicer motor.

JMHO.