Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 11:19 PM   #1

Need a software suggestion.

I bought a computer for my 4 and 6 year olds to play games on. There is only two websites I let them go to for educational games.

Any suggestions on a software program that I can just enter in the website domain and it limits them to just what I put in.

I got on off-lease business class dell gx260 for $45 so that I can be here on chinariders and not have to wait my turn. :wink:

Computer is a P4 2.0 gigahertz, 512mb ram, 40gig harddrive. I have the Free AVG running on it. XP Pro operating system.

I use a gx240 so they got the better machine. Mine is running two hard drives for photo storage.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #2

Re: Need a software suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I bought a computer for my 4 and 6 year olds to play games on. There is only two websites I let them go to for educational games.

Any suggestions on a software program that I can just enter in the website domain and it limits them to just what I put in.

I got on off-lease business class dell gx260 for $45 so that I can be here on chinariders and not have to wait my turn. :wink:

Computer is a P4 2.0 gigahertz, 512mb ram, 40gig harddrive. I have the Free AVG running on it. XP Pro operating system.

I use a gx240 so they got the better machine. Mine is running two hard drives for photo storage.
Hey Kato,

Am I understanding that you're looking for a web nanny, site locker type of product?

There is a setting within IE that will allow you to make every site that loads require a password before it shows up. This way you can pop in the web name and enter the password and it should be fine. Saves you spending any money.

I do believe a lot of the anti virus software comes with a similar option. I'm not sure about AVG, I haven't used it in a while. I would just investigate the settings within them and see if you can find it.

Within IE it is tools > internet options
"content tab" (which is along the top)
"parental controls" which is the first option in the drop down menu.

You can set up an account on your computer so those settings only affect that user (your kids) so when you're logged in yourself it doesn't drive you crazy with constant password entering.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #3

I am not concerned about the passwords. They will be the only users.

In IE I did notice the parental controls, but not sure how effective they were.

Will need to try them out. I am not too concerned yet. They can't type in an address, but they know how to click.