Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #1

intake manifold issues

Hi. I have a 2006 Roketa RSM200E with 1500 miles on it. It's been struggling for a few months. It has symptoms of a vacuum leak, mainly an erratic idle, also a bit of pinging and surging.

I've done a serious, stone cold valve adjustment, .005" intake and exhaust, more than spec, I know, but just to be sure...

The carb has been off a dozen times, it's extremely clean. Pilot screw set from 1/2 turn out to 2-1/2 turns out, no joy. New gas.

The intake manifold has several thousand cracks in it, like an old tire left out in the sun, and when the bike idles, it pulsates like a beating heart. I sprayed ether all over the manifold junctions (out of carb cleaner because the carb is so clean) and the manifold itself. There were no explosions.

The manifold junctions are tight. Soaking the body of the manifold itself, the idle stabilized momentarily, until the ether evaporated.

I bought a new intake piece from Roketa. It's too short by about 1/4". The carb hit the starter connection grommet. No worries, run it. The choke cable got hot! I put on another ground wire and removed the short intake.

Sorry to be so long-winded. A Honda manifold doesn't fit, not even close.
The Roketa parts people admit that parts for an early (?) model are a problem to get right.

Has anyone gooped up a leaky intake with magic stuff? Maybe the black weatherstripping goop? When you serious guys do bigger carbs, what do you do for intake connections? I'd love some new ideas before I burn my engine down! 70 mpg is too good to leave parked.

Many thanks - Dan

Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #2

Does this intake manifold look like what you have?

Hopper Imports Intake

M

Old 07-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #3

You might try to coat the manifold with RTV silicone. I think it is safe with gas. I bet someone comes up with a source for a new one.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
You might try to coat the manifold with RTV silicone. I think it is safe with gas. I bet someone comes up with a source for a new one.
Successfully did this on a yamaha until I could find new boots. It worked for a year with no problems.

Allen

Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #5

Has anyone gooped up a leaky intake with magic stuff? Maybe the black weatherstripping goop?

Yes, on a Honda 100. worked fine. Black RTV silicone.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #6

Thank you

Thanks, guys. I'll be buying the unit mblas3 suggested. in the meantime, I'll do a few goop experiments and report back.

Thanks for the help - Dan

Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #7

Islandboy312, did you get the manifold? Did it fit? It looks a tad long to me.
I have the same bike with all the cracks & want to fix it.

John

Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #8

Help me here please.

I simply do not "get" why the Chinese are seemingly in love with flange mount carbs. Would it not be simpler to use a spigot mount and a spigot carb?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #9

HOLE

My intake box has a small hole where the Chinlee goop let the hose slide prob. during production. Gonna goop some more goop on it to fill it in.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #10

I finally got mine fixed. 2005 Roketa RSM 200E.

Pic of the bike:

I got the manifold from here: http://www.buyatvsonline.com/ $27.90 shipped.

Pick of both manifolds:

You may want to cut a little off the studs as they are a bit too long. I did not.
Installation was easy but the new one is not EXACTLY the same dimensions. A tad shorter with less angle. The result is the airbox hose does not match up with the carb. No way to fix it so the stock airbox had to go.

Pic of airbox offset (notice the top shock mount also, it is a lot closer then it looks):

I tried to use a UNI 2 stage filter but the top shock mount will not allow access to the back of the carb. I was reduced to using a UNI sock filter (1-1/2" by 4"). Not happy with this but will use it til I can figure out how to fabricate a proper airbox to protect the filter.

Pic of sock filter installed:

That is all I can think of at the moment.

John

Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #11

I did the same trick on an XR 100 and it worked great. Not professional looking, but sometimes pros are hacks too. :evil:

Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #12

HotelRed,

If you're going to use a pod filter, try a dual-layer for maximum protection. They're ususally around $20 from the local bike shop.

They're available in straight or 15 degree angle. Check out http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #13

John,

Can you adapt the original elbow from the stock box to connect to a pod? Perhaps you can angle the elbow to get around the shock mount.

Is the sock flange different from the dual layer flange?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #14

weldangrind

Thanks but I tried both the straight and angled due to one of your previous posts. The top shock mount is so close to the carb that it will not allow the flange to get to the carb. That is why I had to use the sock filter.

Hard to see in the pic but it is right up there under the carb opening.

John

Old 10-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #15

Manifold O-ring

Still dinking around with the original inlet tube, and the vacuum leak. I looked at the o-ring that seals against the head. It was flat and did not protrude past the flange surface of the intake tube. I pulled a new o-ring out of a no-fit intake tube and put it in my original tube. Huge improvement.

I'll be looking for a Viton o-ring of the same size. That material should be a bit more heat-resistant. This could be a problem even with a good intake tube.

Hotelred, I left the plastic off my bike too. I like it better.

Thanks, guys.