Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2023, 02:26 AM   #1

Pulled, The Trigger Has Been

Just fartin' around and checked my balance for the 127th time, the money hit at midnight! Now, God grant me MAXIMUM PATIENCE!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ordered.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	29578  

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-03-2023, 08:27 AM   #2

Happy for you we are.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 07-03-2023, 09:50 AM   #3

A joyous occasion delivery will be.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:20 AM   #4

Awesome this is. Excited for you, I am.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-03-2023, 12:08 PM   #5

Enjoy your new "sickle". I mean , Your new sickle, I hope you enjoy.These bikes , while looked down on by many , pay for themselves many times over in practability, and enjoyment. There are a lot of people that automatically assume that these bikes are junk, and many think that you can't even get parts for them, but they are wrong. Proper jetting, gearing, and a chain, and sprocket studs that you know you can depend on, and these bikes can be used, and enjoyed. Just keep up with the valve lash, and oil changes, and the lion's share of these bikes prove to be very mechanicaly sound. These bikes do have far less capabilities in really harsh terrain, when compared to a Jap Enduro of equal displacement, BUT many, if not most of the owners of those bikes never really push the limits of their bikes.

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 07-03-2023 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Yoda order me to.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:49 PM   #6

Thanks, guys, love the Star Wars geekyness.

So, I check out Amazon a little later to look at my order and the bike says nope, try a new payment method. After a couple failed attempts, I call my bank and that was the issue. It's a debit card and only allows up to $1500.00 in a single purchase.

Here's the dilemma: is this truly for my security, or is this a system that is designed to be easily co-opted by Big Brother because they want to know when I (we) spend over $600.00?

I'm stoked that they "let" me buy the bike...wait, what?

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-03-2023, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
Enjoy your new "sickle". I mean , Your new sickle, I hope you enjoy.These bikes , while looked down on by many , pay for themselves many times over in practability, and enjoyment. There are a lot of people that automatically assume that these bikes are junk, and many think that you can't even get parts for them, but they are wrong. Proper jetting, gearing, and a chain, and sprocket studs that you know you can depend on, and these bikes can be used, and enjoyed. Just keep up with the valve lash, and oil changes, and the lion's share of these bikes prove to be very mechanicaly sound. These bikes do have far less capabilities in really harsh terrain, when compared to a Jap Enduro of equal displacement, BUT many, if not most of the owners of those bikes never really push the limits of their bikes.
I'd have to disagree with the claim that these bikes (well, some of them)
"have far less capabilities in really harsh terrain, when compared to a Jap Enduro of equal displacement". A Storm, or a Hawk isn't anything like an enduro bike! No.

The Templars have been credited for "punching above their weight" by owners of the mainstream Austrian, Canadian and Japanese enduros. No kidding. Posted on this website.

Power? Well any racer will tell you that you can't turn power into wins unless you have the skills. And winning MX racers are operating WAY above most people's capabilities, and ONLY they can take advantage of the additional quality.

Frankly, at well under $2000, the base Templar with a 19hp ZS172FMM-3A is a new standard of low cost trainer bike for kids that want to get into the game. And a top skilled enduro rider on a Templar can beat a weak rider on a more powerful expensive enduro. It is about skill.

I want to pick up a black and white base Templar just for the heck of it.
SOOooo tempting at $1600. But my original 5 speed Templar X has enough power and quality for my physical limitations.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:24 PM   #8

Very compelling argument for the Templar X. You mentioned some things that got my attention...seems like the welds are generally better, the engine, pegs, etc.

Clearly I am not beholden to any particular China "brand", but the Hawk just seemed like the way to go. Maybe my next bike....because we all know there's going to be another one, right?

Old 07-03-2023, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Very compelling argument for the Templar X. You mentioned some things that got my attention...seems like the welds are generally better, the engine, pegs, etc.

Clearly I am not beholden to any particular China "brand", but the Hawk just seemed like the way to go. Maybe my next bike....because we all know there's going to be another one, right?
Not the X bigdano. The base Templar. Save $400. It is taller (true enduro scaled bike) though you can drop it a couple inches (documented on this website), with a new drilled hole in the lower shock mount. It has the beefier frame (especially at the triple tree), better forks, much more substantial swingarm. Base Templar is MUCH more motorcycle than any of the the CG230cc dual sports bikes. But the cost is practically identical.

All of these bikes have potential component issues since they rely on the same supply chains, but Chinese motorcycle manfuacturers have matured, substantially. And I have heard of significant hiccups in Hawk QC in the last couple of years, epsecially in the DLX (EFI) platforms.By the way, I would steer clear of ANY EFI systems on these cheap bikes!!!!!!!

I you really want a luggage rack, go for the Templar M. And if you really think you need adjustable forks AND rear shock, get the X. But seriously, the base Templar is a simple excellent platform. It's WAY more than the CGclone 230cc dual sport bike. You won't regret it.

The X isn't currenty available on Powersportsmax. But check out the black and white base Templar. Yuuummmm!

Old 07-03-2023, 05:41 PM   #10

Agreed on the EFI, these bikes aren't quite ready for that. To me, simpler is better, and carburetor is about as simple as it gets. They could offer a carb'ed version with those sweet DLX forks, tho...

Old 07-03-2023, 05:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Agreed on the EFI, these bikes aren't quite ready for that. To me, simpler is better, and carburetor is about as simple as it gets. They could offer a carb'ed version with those sweet forks, tho...
DLX forks? Those are not inverted forkes. Hawk is just overpriced compared to base Templar, or any Templar for that matter.

If you are 5'6 to 5'10 with 30" or less inseam, the CGclones might work better for you. Also, if you really need your heels planted and not so balanced on a motorcycle, the enduro class is not for you.

BUT...As I said, you can lower the Templar by drilling a new lower rear shock mount hole. And you can slip the front forks up an inch to lower the front end too. This is indeed documented on this website.

Old 07-03-2023, 06:45 PM   #12

Sorry, I don’t really know how to do this but congratulations on your purchase. I was wondering if anybody could help me in deciding between the BOZZ 250 and the hawk 250(efi) I need to order this quick and note I am a larger rider 6’1 280 it will be mostly used for campgrounds and hunting I have a camper in the back of my truck, so want to camp at set up it’s difficult to move I thought one of these bikes would be great for rides through the mountains hunting and maybe if I need to take a ride into town to pick up supplies I’m a little bit afraid of the EFI because I heard horror stories if the electronics get wet. But I’m also a little worried about carbureted because I don’t wanna spend an hour trying to start it in the winter up in the mountains any kind of help would be great.

Old 07-03-2023, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
DLX forks? Those are not inverted forkes. Hawk is just overpriced compared to base Templar, or any Templar for that matter.

If you are 5'6 to 5'10 with 30" or less inseam, the CGclones might work better for you. Also, if you really need your heels planted and not so balanced on a motorcycle, the enduro class is not for you.

BUT...As I said, you can lower the Templar by drilling a new lower rear shock mount hole. And you can slip the front forks up an inch to lower the front end too. This is indeed documented on this website.
Do you work for Templar?

Old 07-03-2023, 08:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Do you work for Templar?

Of course not. Don't even imply such a thing. That is just insulting dano

No spiff, no gratuity, no relationship at all except for the fact that I bought TWO Templar X bikes from PSM.. I've had a GREAT experience with my bikes, including the Bashan Storm I bought from a vendor I no longer recommend because of real issues I don't want our members to experience.

I sold the newer 6 speed Temp X, because I don't care about counterbalancing, and my OEM 5speed Temp X works for my off road use. But look into my posts regarding that bike HERE on this website.

Frankly, I don't need adjustable suspension, and I like the base temp X. I would buy one if I didn't want to buy a 2 stroke 40hp enduro. You don't know anything about me.

Buy whatever the heck you want. Dano.

It should be based on what YOU want. I shouldn't ply your decision in any way. Ask the other wizards here what they want.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Of course not. Don't even imply such a thing. That is just insulting dano
It was just a question, warranted by your enthusiastic support for Templar. When I insult you, you will know it.
Quote:
No spiff, no gratuity, no relationship at all except for the fact that I bought TWO Templar X bikes from PSM.. I've had a GREAT experience with my bikes, including the Bashan Storm I bought from a vendor I no longer recommend because of real issues I don't want our members to experience.
That's all you had to say...but you went on:
Quote:
"blah, blah, blah"

Buy whatever the heck you want. Dano.

"blah, blah, blah"
I already did, dude.