Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2022, 10:35 PM   #1

Hello from PA

Hello, my name is Rei and I have plans to pick up a trailmaster tm38.

I’m new to the dirt/china/dual-sport bike scene, I know the tm38 isn’t a dual-sport but I plan to make it street legal. I moved to PA from Tampa FL around a year and a half ago, I have been into all types of motorcycles since the move and my most recent obsession is to hit single tracks and learn motocross. I’ve had a sport bike in the past but I’m a really slim(ultra lightweight min str max dex) build and I needed a bike to get around the city for work, i love sport bikes but having a sub 300 pound bike is a must for me currently. I’ve been researching dirt bikes, dual sports, and some ADVs but i came to the conclusion that the tm38 perfectly fits my wants in a very affordable package. I realize as a beginner dirt rider that the claimed 31 hp is out of my skill level but the package offered seems amazing. I’m trying to find as much information as I can on the bike before i pull the trigger but my mind is set already. I’ve seen the other 2 tm36/38 owners on the forum but there wasn’t much to see. Once I receive the bike I plan to document my modifications and anything else in the way, I’m not too knowledgeable with bikes and I have a few questions.

This bike is apparently a KTM clone of some sort and I’m wondering what bike it’s cloned after and any part compatibility, I know plastics and levers are the same as ktm. But don’t know much else

What are the first modifications you suggest for a dirt bike, or generally for a Chinese bike? I’m curious about the front forks and if i could throw some thick a** forks on but also wondering if that’s something to even consider due to my light weight. I see that one of the first upgrades is the carb for most Chinese bikes but the tm38 has a competition carb?

I’ve never kick started a bike, I live in Philly and I wanted to use this bike to commute (like 10 minutes by bike), the bike comes with keys and has electric start, would anybody be able to walk up to my bike and start it by kicking it without the keys?

Since the tm38 is a dirt bike there will be more hurdles to get it street legal, I’m wondering if I can actually just slap on federal requirements like mirrors, tail lights, etc. and head to the dmv, get an inspection and boom magic street legal bike?

Any recommendations for tires, wheels, or anything else?

Thank you I’m really excited to pick up a tm38 and hit the dirt, the information for the bike seems scarce currently but I want to help others considering the bike or other owners.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #2

Welcome aboard!
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-06-2022, 05:48 PM   #3

Hello I;d be very interested on hearing more about this bike ,needing something more than my TBR7.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:25 AM   #4

Careful with Philly, these bikes are light enough people pick them up and toss them into their pick up trucks.

From Lehigh Valley Area... little safer.

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 11-10-2022, 01:20 PM   #5

That TM38 has great specs, looks excellent. The stock suspension should easily take care of you (especially your build), and you may never need to replace it. Changing fork oil (heavier) might add stiffness if the stiffer settings are just more harsh for you weight, but based on my experience with my Templar X bikes, I will never be skilled enough to need more (and I do ride very aggressively!).

On making it street legal...
-That is probably a competition head pipe with resonator. It may not have a catalyst, or a catalyst sufficient to pass road/street requirements. ???
-If tires are not DOT approved, I highly recommend Tusk DSport Adventure for the rear tire. It really bites like a shark in dirt and mud/, with bigger and stiff blocks but has a flattened center region that reduces vibration on the pavement. Get a tall (100/110) front knobby. A few good DOT approved ones to choose from
-mods?? You are buying one of the most technically advanced Chinese imports, though some components may be typically imperfect, which is common for these low cost clones. So you are starting with a high level of fundamental components. Chances are you will be tweaking and adjusting for a while, testing suspension settings and maybe fixing a few things before you really know what you want to change. Carb jetting is also likely to be needed.
-you might want to measure the battery cradle and get the biggest battery with highest CCA rating that you can find. Kick starting a 37" tall bike is a balancing act!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Hello, my name is Rei and I have plans to pick up a trailmaster tm38.

I’m new to the dirt/china/dual-sport bike scene, I know the tm38 isn’t a dual-sport but I plan to make it street legal. I moved to PA from Tampa FL around a year and a half ago, I have been into all types of motorcycles since the move and my most recent obsession is to hit single tracks and learn motocross. I’ve had a sport bike in the past but I’m a really slim(ultra lightweight min str max dex) build and I needed a bike to get around the city for work, i love sport bikes but having a sub 300 pound bike is a must for me currently. I’ve been researching dirt bikes, dual sports, and some ADVs but i came to the conclusion that the tm38 perfectly fits my wants in a very affordable package. I realize as a beginner dirt rider that the claimed 31 hp is out of my skill level but the package offered seems amazing. I’m trying to find as much information as I can on the bike before i pull the trigger but my mind is set already. I’ve seen the other 2 tm36/38 owners on the forum but there wasn’t much to see. Once I receive the bike I plan to document my modifications and anything else in the way, I’m not too knowledgeable with bikes and I have a few questions.

This bike is apparently a KTM clone of some sort and I’m wondering what bike it’s cloned after and any part compatibility, I know plastics and levers are the same as ktm. But don’t know much else

What are the first modifications you suggest for a dirt bike, or generally for a Chinese bike? I’m curious about the front forks and if i could throw some thick a** forks on but also wondering if that’s something to even consider due to my light weight. I see that one of the first upgrades is the carb for most Chinese bikes but the tm38 has a competition carb?

I’ve never kick started a bike, I live in Philly and I wanted to use this bike to commute (like 10 minutes by bike), the bike comes with keys and has electric start, would anybody be able to walk up to my bike and start it by kicking it without the keys?

Since the tm38 is a dirt bike there will be more hurdles to get it street legal, I’m wondering if I can actually just slap on federal requirements like mirrors, tail lights, etc. and head to the dmv, get an inspection and boom magic street legal bike?

Any recommendations for tires, wheels, or anything else?

Thank you I’m really excited to pick up a tm38 and hit the dirt, the information for the bike seems scarce currently but I want to help others considering the bike or other owners.