Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2021, 03:49 AM   #1

Did I kill the relay?

2016 RPS Magician. Put LED turn lights. Worked fine. Put LED headlamp. High and low beams seemed opposite and turn signals ceased functioning. Replaced all with stock lamps and headlight working normally but turn signals are totally dead. No lamp. No indicator. The lamps are good. Checked them before reinstalling. If the fuse was bad I would get no headlamp or even ignition right?

Seriously bummed. Want to ride and it's way to hot to ride in the day in Las Vegas right now. I think it was like 157F maybe less but not much today.

I searched the rap out of this forum for similar issue but couldn't find anything.
Anyways, help please

Old 06-17-2021, 04:41 AM   #2

Well, not 100% the same problem, but I had (and still have) a weird current leakage problem with a LED retrofit rear/stop light.

By your description, I suspect that your headlight LED retrofit (it's a HS1/H4, right?) also leaks some current between hi/low beam, when you have only one of them activated. Now, on my bike (ZongShen sierra, with the only electronics being the CDI), this probably doesn't do much, other than causing that weird speedo light feedback I described in the other thread.

Now, with more electronics in the loop, something might not have liked what happened there Yet the more reason not to use LED retrofits if you don't have to, I say.

It's also not unheard of for them to have screwed up the wiring or at least geometry of the light-emitting elements, to the point that hi/low beam appear switched or not all that different from one another. Some of those LED retrofits just don't work well at all with certain reflector housings (like most of those bike headlights are).

Old 06-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #3

I took off all the LED lamps. The headlight is working fine. I have no turn signals. It's acting like a fuse is blown but as far as I know there is only one fuse. The only thing left is the relay correct?

Old 06-17-2021, 07:39 AM   #4

Well yeah, if you mean the flasher relay. Those can fail too, especially if they require finnicky modifications to the rest of the electrical system (like e.g. fabri-cobbling an extra ground connection out of nowhere, esp. if the existing relay was a 2-wire system...or adding inline-resistor wires along the way.

IMO, if that was the type that required you to attach a third contact to a makeshift ground connection, plus some current leakage from the LED headlight, that might have done it in. The other possibility, if there were inline-resistor wires, is that one of them might have failed.

See if you can activate the relay outside of the bike with some test wiring and loads.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #5

You will need a led compatible flasher anyways so start there. if you have a voltmeter make sure you are getting power to the flasher and that you get power from the trigger wire when you turn them on, that will help to verify the wiring. The headlight is probably just wired backword.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #6

getting very frustrated

ok WTF!!! I put all stock lamps back. headlight high and low works fine. Just went and bought flasher relay. The left turns F and R are working normally. The right side lamps don't come on, the indicator doesn't light but the relay is a faster flash and the gear indicator is flashing. I hate this shit. I'm about ready to give up. All the wiring looks fine. They all have continuity. I an't really tell if there is 12v at the socket because it's flashing. I can tell you there is some voltage present at the sockets. How did this happen just from putting some LED lamps in line? Which worked BTW until I put the LED headlight. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Pun intended! Please hurry I'm minutes away from smashing it to pieces. I tried the valve adjustment as well. The damn thing still won't f****ing idle. So now what? spend more money on shit I'm not sure will work. I really liked this bike. Starting to hate it though. Sold a kawasaki 650 to buy this cause it was too much bike for me but didn't have a problem or issue with that bike. Hope someone can make me like this china bike again.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:03 AM   #7

feeling pretty dumb

The problem was a wire was under the seat nut intermittently grounding out the system. I didn't do it, but I should have discovered it earlier.
Thanks for all the help in here though

Tags
headlight, led, magician 250, relay, turn signal