Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #1

Grin tapping into 12v for LED relay switch tbr7

where would be a good spot to tap into a 12v source for the lighted switch that will operate/trigger my relay and power my aux LED lights? have already mechanically installed a lighted switch on my clutch side.... my thought was patking lights..... i will be using one positap brand tap connector and grounding out the negative to chassis....

the LEDs are also already mechanically installed....

thanks and TGIF!

souping up and modifying this bike is alot of fun.....i am almost done with everything.... almost

all about the Tao MotorsTBR7
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25553

Old 04-24-2020, 10:49 PM   #2

Blue head light wire if from high beam, white from low beam & brown from park lamp...

Black from ign on red from direct battery.

Quick test light or volt meter will tell all.

You choose what triggers it etc

Old 04-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Blue head light wire if from high beam, white from low beam & brown from park lamp...

Black from ign on red from direct battery.

Quick test light or volt meter will tell all.

You choose what triggers it etc
thanks! will be doing that this weekend...👍

all about the Tao MotorsTBR7
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25553

Old 04-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

I just used the power and ground to the worthless "running light"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenstogie View Post
where would be a good spot to tap into a 12v source for the lighted switch that will operate/trigger my relay and power my aux LED lights? have already mechanically installed a lighted switch on my clutch side.... my thought was patking lights..... i will be using one positap brand tap connector and grounding out the negative to chassis....

the LEDs are also already mechanically installed....

thanks and TGIF!

souping up and modifying this bike is alot of fun.....i am almost done with everything.... almost
I just used the power and ground to the worthless "running light". I wired direct and no problem with two 20W LED spots. I also replaced the headlight with an LED, so my amp draw for lights was less than stock even with the spots.

On the TT250 this is the only headlight wire that is powered all the time. If you wire to the low headlight wire...it goes off when the high is on. If you wire to the high headlight wire...it goes off when the low is on. Seems like low would be on when high is on, but it is not. The little "running light" is on all of the time.

My lights come on only when the ignition switch is on, just like the headlight. I run them all the time for daytime visibility to cars, and, of course, need them at night for my road visibility. I don't have to remember to turn them off.

But, use a relay if you are worried or already have it.

One way is to use the "running light" wires I used to the relay coil, then run + from battery thru a switch (if you want to turn the lights off in the day) to the lights and the - from the battery to the lights. This will retain the lights going off when the ignition is off. The relay coil will still be made if you don't turn the switch off, but the coil doesn't draw much current, so it wouldn't run your battery down very fast.

Another way (less preferable to me) is to wire + from battery to switch and then to the + side of the relay coil. Land the - battery on the - coil. Run the "running light" + wire thru the normally open relay contact. Don't forget to turn off the switch all the time or you will drain your battery and lights will stay on.

Orion RXB 150XL