Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

taotao hellcat speedometer

I am back once again to request help from the china masters. So i have been riding my motorcycle lately and haven't had any issues. but today im riding my bike and the speedometer has been really weird. the color has been shifting from yellow to a redish color. and my mph usually stay at 0 but occasionally bounce around. so far ive checked to see if my speedometer cable has become unplugged but its still plugged in. could it be an issue with the battery being low?

Old 09-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

Usually if the battery is too low the cluster will reboot and reset the clock to 12:00. Charge your battery and see if it does the same thing. My speedo had a problem where it would bounce around and then only read 0. It turned out to the cable, where it connected to the sensor on the wheel.

If your cluster is going bad there are many universal ones that will plug right in. Sometimes though the connector for the speedo are the same end so you will have to wire them together. Also some of these speedos, 3rd will light 4th and visa versa. This is easy to fix, just need to swap 2 wires.

This is the one I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZ93XD4/

The speedo connector may or may not have to be wired in but you do need to swap 2 wires to make 3rd light 3 and not 4. This is also extremely easy, you can just swap it on the gear sensor instead of the cluster.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot newb View Post
Usually if the battery is too low the cluster will reboot and reset the clock to 12:00. Charge your battery and see if it does the same thing. My speedo had a problem where it would bounce around and then only read 0. It turned out to the cable, where it connected to the sensor on the wheel.

If your cluster is going bad there are many universal ones that will plug right in. Sometimes though the connector for the speedo are the same end so you will have to wire them together. Also some of these speedos, 3rd will light 4th and visa versa. This is easy to fix, just need to swap 2 wires.

This is the one I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZ93XD4/

The speedo connector may or may not have to be wired in but you do need to swap 2 wires to make 3rd light 3 and not 4. This is also extremely easy, you can just swap it on the gear sensor instead of the cluster.

Thanks for the help. looks like ill be ordering a new speedo cable. ill give that a shot and see what happens.