Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #1

Bike won't start when in gear!

Hello guys,

I have the Xeverus Pro XR in Mexico- I see most similarities to tt250.

The 'problem' I see is that when I stall the bike in tricky situations and then press clutch and try to start the bike while in 1st gear (to quickly get moving again) it doesn't do anything.

**In fact I think I remember I put in in neutral and retried and still nothing. - not quite sure about this part.

The only way the bike turns on is by putting it back in neutral, then switching the key to OFF while clutch lever is free, then switching back to ON and then starting the engine while in neutral.

This has only happened to me twice, cause I dont usually stall the bike, I'm just getting more and more comfortable with the bike so I'm starting to take it into trickier trails.

The bike is pretty much new has less than 100 miles but the thing is, since it's my first bike, I fell to the right side and left side within the first 5 miles while learning to ride so I'm not quite sure if something messed up in those falls or if I'm worrying for nothing.

I've read that it might be the kickstand switch( I guess my bike doesn't have one, cause I've started the bike by remote and also ridden it. with the kickstand still down *RIP*) or the clutch switch malfunctioning, or if that's the clutch switch's function.

Any help is awesome guys, thanks.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #2

I'm actually thinking of trying to just do a fresh start while in gear, rather than only after stalling it. I'll try that later today. Just to see if the problem is only due to stalling.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #3

You usually can start a bike with the kickstand down. That isn't necessarily an indication that it doesn't have a switch.

If you have it running, with the kickstand down, and then put it in gear and it kills your bike, then you almost definitely have a kickstand safety switch. Back to the problem at hand though, you might have to have a faulty clutch switch.

It could either be a normally open or a normally closed switch, so the solution for that would be too either bypass the switch with a jumper wire, or unplugging the switch. Then, just make sure you're always holding the clutch in when you start it. Those bypassing instructions should work for a kickstand switch, if you have one of those, too.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

A bad diode will cause those symptoms but I don't know where that manufacturer puts it.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #5

Safety is either off at clutch or Diode faulty that is taped into loom under tank

Old 12-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
You usually can start a bike with the kickstand down. That isn't necessarily an indication that it doesn't have a switch.

If you have it running, with the kickstand down, and then put it in gear and it kills your bike, then you almost definitely have a kickstand safety switch. Back to the problem at hand though, you might have to have a faulty clutch switch.

It could either be a normally open or a normally closed switch, so the solution for that would be too either bypass the switch with a jumper wire, or unplugging the switch. Then, just make sure you're always holding the clutch in when you start it. Those bypassing instructions should work for a kickstand switch, if you have one of those, too.
Franque, I'm grateful for your cogent posts. You always seem to have a pragmatic answer that is spot-on.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
A bad diode will cause those symptoms but I don't know where that manufacturer puts it.
Excellent post, Mudflap. Please tell me; in your studied opinion, what is the purpose of a properly functioning diode in this application? I know what a diode does, but I'm unsure of why it's on the bike.

A diode was used as a rectifier on my old two-stroke Suzukis, but I suspect the purpose here is dissimilar.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #8

All the diode does is provide a path for current to flow to the solenoid coil when the bike is in gear and the clutch lever is pulled. Nothing special about the diode so its easy to get a replacement at any electronics shop or out of that old tv on the junk pile.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #9

None of the bikes with the remote start will start in gear. They don't want your bike taking off without you if you forget and remote start the bike in gear.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
None of the bikes with the remote start will start in gear. They don't want your bike taking off without you if you forget and remote start the bike in gear.
That's useful to know! One more reason, in my opinion, to just delete the remote start. It's one more failure point that I'd rather eliminate.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #11

I'm not sure if this is the case here but up until the mid to late 80s you could steal a bike with just a short piece of wire and 2 alligator clips. Connect one end to the positive battery terminal and the other to the positive wire going to the brake light switch. Current would flow back through the wire and power the ignition system. Then you jump the solenoid or simply bump start it. Manufacturers got wise to this and put a diode in line so power could flow to the switch but not back to the ignition.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 12-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #12

"That's useful to know! One more reason, in my opinion, to just delete the remote start. It's one more failure point that I'd rather eliminate. "

Here I go on my "stop putting useless gewgaws on Chinese Motorcycles and spend that money on making the basic components higher quality and more durable " rant again lmao.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 12-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Safety is either off at clutch or Diode faulty that is taped into loom under tank
Hmm, is the function on the clutch switch to: bike will start only when clutch is pressed? - that makes sense.

The reason I ask this is that I would rather only be able to start the bike with clutch pressed rather than risking starting the bike by remote while it is in gear. But it currently isn't the case because I can already start it without clutch.

Sorry still not quite sure what the clutch switches function is on these bikes.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Yeah they will. At least mine does.

How do I know that? - I always leave the bike in neutral before I turn it off and put the kickstand down, I'm guessing a kid might have messed with my bike and put it in gear... Well i was gonna ride and i started it by remote while approaching it and voila the ghost road it straight to the ground, and bye bye left hand guard x).

Old 12-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
"That's useful to know! One more reason, in my opinion, to just delete the remote start. It's one more failure point that I'd rather eliminate. "

Here I go on my "stop putting useless gewgaws on Chinese Motorcycles and spend that money on making the basic components higher quality and more durable " rant again lmao.
I personally don't see any use of the remote start on my bike at least - however i can see why many others would find it useful.

Specially in cities where bike robberies are frequent. Specifically to those who are some sort of messengers and just stop and go in various locations and would rather leave the bike running to save some time. By starting it with remote you don't need to put the key in at all to ride it so, if while you stop and make a delivery someone decides to get on and ride, you can just turn it off by remote.

Or others who just want to turn off your bike in a stop light - what no key!!??, you just have more opportunities to not be a victim.

Maybe even prevent a bike robbery while riding, just turn off the bike once they get you off the bike, and run for it. - Make it a bit harder for them to get away with it.

These situations are helpful because you don't have your key in the ignition.

Rare scenarios but some might find it helpful :b.