Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Oil Coolers pros and cons

Just looking for some input on oil coolers found one for the Rhinos and one for the gy6 clones

Rhino 250 oil cooler - Oil Cooler CG250 250cc

GY6 Clone oil cooler - Oil Cooler GY6

Any Ideas ?????

Old 03-30-2018, 11:33 AM   #2

I have one on my Rhino, it works. What do you want to know?

Old 03-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Pros: Cooler oil = longer oil life, engine life, clutch life. Lowered engine operating temps. slightly increased oil capacity.

Cons: Increased warmp up time and potential oil leak points, more external parts that can suffer damage which can cripple the bike. Not really a problem if the cooler and lines are mounted in such a way that they are protected by the frame, but it's a potential. To properly change all of the oil requires a little more effort.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

mudflap- first sweet same project. Did you add a thermostatic sandwich plate? And how much oil did you add to the unit to accommodate the oil cooler? Lastly, do you have a pic? It is hard to find info on these ATVs.

megadan- If I changed the oil the same way as I do the tranny fluid on my CRV 3x process think that would cover it oil change wise?

Old 03-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #5

No thermostat but I did put a couple muffin fans on it with a toggle switch. Just use the oil sight glass for checking oil level. Didn't check how much extra oil it holds in the cooler, probably a cup or so. I think here is a picture in my gallery but due to my current remote location I am unable to download pics.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #6

thanks

Old 07-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #7

Just purchased a new Rhino 250 and find it gets really hot so I did a search and found this site and thread. I was looking at the CG250 oil cooler linked above and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the valve cover that all the oil lines connect too. How does the oil get feed up there and how much oil flow are we talking? Is it a trickle or is there an actual pump that feeds at a decent rate?

I looked at the cooler pictures on "Mudflap's" profile page album. I was wondering if you would have any pictures of the valve cover.

Did anyone buy the oil cooler from that AliExpress link above and if so how's it performing?

Thanks all.

To skip the debate on the necessity of an oil cooler, I believe I could benefit from one and have the money to spend on it. I got my Rhino to help drag deer and to use for hunting. 75% of the run time will be at a walking pace while towing light to medium loads. So, like I said, I feel like I could use a cooler.