Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Head Scratching No Spark from Hawk

Was out for a ride when the bike just quit when running about 30 mph, trailered it home and sure enough no spark. I have a friend that has the same bike, so i swapped the coil, no change. swapped cdi box, no change. Checked for continuity at kill switch, that was ok. Visual inspection of wiring and connectors shows no issues. Just looking for opinions before I ordered a new stator. Am I missing anything? Bike is a 2015 Hawk 250 with 1,100 miles on it.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazook View Post
Was out for a ride when the bike just quit when running about 30 mph, trailered it home and sure enough no spark. I have a friend that has the same bike, so i swapped the coil, no change. swapped cdi box, no change. Checked for continuity at kill switch, that was ok. Visual inspection of wiring and connectors shows no issues. Just looking for opinions before I ordered a new stator. Am I missing anything? Bike is a 2015 Hawk 250 with 1,100 miles on it.
Is the battery voltage low? If the alternator is not charging the battery, it could be a shorted wire where it comes out of what used to be the called the chaincase, and goes through the final drive sprocket area, behind the cover. I would also check the sidestand safety switch and its wiring, and the neutral safety switch.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

First thing I'd do is unplug the kill wire from the CDI box, assuming Hawk uses an AC CDI. If it fires with the wire disconnected you'll know the problem is not with the CDI or stator.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #4

We just went through this with a Dong Fang and it turned out all it was was a spark plug (he was even getting spark). Member 'Adjuster' mentioned on that thread that spark plugs can look and act like they are still working, but have an internal crack. Fortunately, they are one of the easiest places to start!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard