Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #1

Doing some distance

I live in Toronto. I'm now in Sarnia which is across the bridge from Detroit, about 250Km's from Toronto. Got here Saturday the 8th of September. It is going to rain tomorrow, the 9th. so I'll go over the bike. On Monday the 10th I head back to Toronto. On the 11th. or 12th. I hope to take the highway east this time, past Ottawa, and about 100 Kms into Quebec to my aunt's cottage. That's about 400km. Round tripping it thats about 1300Km in under a week. I can't say I'm totally confident that the bike will make it back to the start line. But , I wouldn't try it if I didn't think my chances are good. I might come back by bus, sure, but at least I can say I tried. Season is almost over. N2r.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Wow that'll be a nice long ride. Let us know how it goes.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #3

Talked her into it. :wink:

Old 09-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #4

I'm in toronto, back home. Tomorrow is rain, good thing too. 6km from home an 85 year old driving a caddie cuts me off and starts slamming the brakes, so I switch lanes. He does it again. So i Shoot ahead, changing lanes. I come to construction, so it's down to 1 lane. I slow down and he speeds up in my lane and pushes me over the yellow line. I brake and just stayed behind him where it's safer. I followed him to a parking lot where I could take a picture of his car and take it to the cops. He backs up and knocks my bike over. Broken brake handle. Then takes off. I was a little angry. I caught up at the lights, pulled the key from my ignition and yep I got him back. I couldn't do anything with his licence plate anyway unless a cop actually saw him try to kill me. I understand Wendy the wife hitting a parked bike in a parking lot, but this guy did it on purpose. 85 yrs old and driving like a drunk angry kid with a sports car. Besides that what a great ride! Only got a couple good pics, I'll put them up.

Next leg of the trip is a day, maybe two away. I didn't want to boast before but Ottawa is 400km, and my destination is more like 500km from toronto. Gotta get a brake handle tomorrow. I'll do the oil again cause it's cheap, and maybe a clutch adjust. This trip has more hills so I'm gonna switch the 42 tooth, with my stock 46 tooth sprocket. The only problem I had was one of my licence plate light wires came loose. I found it and fixed it. Tape and zip ties are cheap too.

I didn't really talk her into it at all, Kato. I told her I'd stop riding when she bought me an Austin Healy Sprite, it's almost as much fun and freedom as a bike. Just 10 to 20 grand. Measure up that fender brother, I think I'll be riding a lot next season. Well you could wait to see if my bike makes the next leg of the trip. I'll update from Quebec, with or without my bike. 8)

Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #5

I'll see if I can pull that fender off tomorrow and do some measuring.

I was actually looking a 5.0 mustang convertible. Much less than 10k.

Allen

Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 PM   #6

oooh that would be fun too 8O . Mus tang!

I must remember in the future, never allow someone who almost killed me to get me angry. It's not easy, but being angry on a bike is very un-safe. My target to go to Quebec is Thursday morning. Kinda sick of looking at maps.
-------------------------
edit
Any suggestions for a really loud horn? My horn is a joke. I'd like to get something like a train horn. Mine sounds loud in my garage but with a couple semi trucks around, it can't be heard at all.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #7

Quote:
My target to go to Quebec is Thursday morning.
Ha! You thought the TO cabbies were bad. Good luck.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #8

These are popular around here. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...01/TID-8010714

Allen

Also I am going to ask my Dad for the scout in the barn. It has a removable top.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
oooh that would be fun too 8O . Mus tang!

I must remember in the future, never allow someone who almost killed me to get me angry. It's not easy, but being angry on a bike is very un-safe. My target to go to Quebec is Thursday morning. Kinda sick of looking at maps.
edit
Any suggestions for a really loud horn? My horn is a joke. I'd like to get something like a train horn. Mine sounds loud in my garage but with a couple semi trucks around, it can't be heard at all.
My dad used an old car alarm speaker that wasn't being used on a pickup he bought.It will definantly get your attention.He added it after about a 60 year old woman nearly hit him when he was in a right turn lane.she never saw him or heard the wimpy horn on his suzuki blvd.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #10

I don't need a horn that depletes my battery as soon as I use it 8O but ya, I want everyone for 1 square block to look at me. It doesn't have to play Dixie, but if I sound like a Mac truck, the people driving boxes might at least look. :twisted:

Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Quote:
Folks, Frosty is not kidding, if anyone ever visits Toronto, stay away from Toronto cabs. Even if you drive a truck. Bad doesn't cover it, Horrible comes closer.
edit__________________

Well it's wednesday late and so far I'm a go for tomorrow morning.
I got a slice taken out of my rear wheel, looks bad, but it's not that deep. Last pic in my album page 8 of gallery. About 2mm deep. Tires are brand new and have 6 to 8mm of wear left. I'm gonna strap my stock knobbie to the rear rack. I'm takeing a spare. I got tubes and a pump too. If the wheel goes I'll still need a milk crate to pull the rear wheel. 8O

Old 09-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #12

The bike, and I made it. Better pics this time. Heat shield wield broke, not just the bolt. Next Update Saturday when I get back home. 730AM to 7PM, Good Ride! N2r

Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #13

Congratz!

Looking forwards to pics...

Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 AM   #14

Made it home with my bike. Heat shield wield broke, and odometer(sp) stopped working, but speedometer is still ok. Gear indicator is going. The valves or rods are making more noise than they were. That's about it. It's sunday morning now so I'll post the proof pics tomorrow. Cold and rain and even hail, what a ride. I admit, I'm kinda tired, but the memory is going to last a lifetime. 8)
--------------EDIT-----------
Pics are up! Page 8 of the gallery 8O

Old 09-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Quote:
Quebec drivers weren't any worse than Toronto. I ride like I'm invisible everywhere. I stay to the right on multi lane roads. On single lane roads I ride in an aggressive blocking position. I never ride directly beside a car. I now plan my trips to avoid streetcar tracks. Even with 17/42 sprockets, it's easy to stay in front of the pack from a red light. My bike swerves better, brakes faster and accelerates quicker than most cars. JMHO but I'd say that the same is true comparing my bike to a Hondapotmus. At the grocery store parking lot is when I'm most glad I'm riding a chinabike. :roll: