Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

My newest 2 wheeler

I am not what you would call a bicyclist. In fact, for the most part of the last 15 years, I have not rode one. But, now that we are back into camping again, I needed one to roam about the campgrounds silently on.
So I did not want to spend much moola on one. Having that been said,
the ones I looked at at Wal Mart were t-total junk!!!!
So I went to Dick's Sporting goods and found a decent looking Huffy
" Hardtail 26" (that is what it says on the side of it )
Has no rear suspension, but does have front suspension. ( odd )
Had them put a NICE Gel Pad sat cover on it before we even rolled it out
of the store. I will say this, Dicks Sporting goods was a GOOD place to buy a bicycle. Because before they would let it leave the store, he put it up on a bike repair stand, aired up both tires, lubed the chain, checked torque on EVERY bolt & nut, and installed the gel pad for me at no extra charge. And this is all on a bike that was on sale for $99.95.
I don't know enough about bicycles to give it a proper review.
All I can say it, after just over one mile of riding, my legs remembered why I like motorcycles better!!!!! lmao!!!! I NEED to bicycle more. I am getting WEAK!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 HUFFY HARDTAIL26.jpg (102.6 KB, 70 views)

Old 03-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

by the way, this has 18 speeds. Witch is odd, because all I ever seem to use is 1st about 90% of the time, and 7th when going downhill fast. lol

Old 03-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #3

You may not be as weak as you think. From what I see, the set up for fit could be a lot better. If you were shooting for the 'one hour record' it's not bad. For riding around the campground, it's not good. The saddle looks way too high and the bars are too low. Along with the nose of the saddle pointing down a bit, you end up putting a lot of pressure on your wrists and that becomes painful.

So, get the saddle level and adjust the saddle height so you have just a slight bend in your knee. Then raise the bars an inch or so above the saddle. There's more to proper fit but this is a start. I think you'll find the bike more fun to ride.

There's a pattern to shifting through the gears and there are only 10 or so useful gears on an 18 speed, but just put in a gear you are comfortable with and go. After over 55 years of cycling, it's how I ride anymore.

I know you said that it was a 'Hardtail 26' but from the pic I'd almost swear those were 29er wheels. You got a heck of a deal if they are.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 03-31-2016, 12:54 AM   #4

Congratulations with your new bicycle. I am very happy for you. The more you ride, the easier it gets, but no question about it, it is work. With that said, the work benefits your health, and your body, and you will become more proud of what you were able to do on the bicycle. It won't replace a motorcycle, they both provide different pleasures and opportunities.

Cheesy gave you good advise regarding the bicycle seat. I would add that the saddle height should be so that your knees are just a little bit bent when the petals are at the 6 o'clock position. Also, as Cheesy said, you need to lower the angle on that seat a little bit. The seat should be roughly parallel to the ground. Also if the tires are under inflated it will increase the work of pedal . Somewhere around 45 pounds would be just about right for those tires.

By the way, most bicycles that only have one wheel suspended its the front wheel. That is what you want for the most part. Suspension on the rear wheel causes a up-and-down bopping motion while pedaling which wastes energy, and few of us have any to spare LOL

Old 03-31-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the seat tips! Will try some adjustments for sure!!! So, just to be sure I understand correctly, , , with the pedal at the 6 o'clock position, my knee for that pedal needs to be just a little beyond 90 degrees? Like say a 80 degree bend? Right now as it is set up my knee would be at about a 115 - 120 degree bend.
As to the 26 or 29, it is for sure a 26. Interesting thing about that though. This frame is more compact than several other 26" bikes I have seen. Not as small as a 24" frame, but not as large as many 26" bikes I seen. This bike is super light to boot. ( compared strictly to all the other sub $150 bikes I looked at )
The tires are both at 40 psi when I checked them after reading this. Will air up a bit more. They are aggressive looking "off road" tires. But have a solid continuous center rib with a zig-zag pattern on it. I noticed when I rode it only that center part is all that is actually rolling on the ground. The big lumpy cleats to each side seem to stay just off the pavement unless I lean into a turn. Not sure if that is normal or not.
Thanks again Y'All. :-)

Old 03-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

'zactly, just a slight bend.

Back in the bad ol' days of lugged steel frames, friction shifters, and leather saddles, there were MANY rules of thumb for setting seat height. Some were pretty good, some deserved to have their thumbs broken. One that I have stuck with over the past few decades is 'The 109% Theory'. Basically, it's your inseam measured in your stocking feet and adding 9% of that to the total. Example, 30" inseam + 9% of that equals, ('scuse me while I consult my calculator), equals 32.7". We'll say 32.75" for simplicity. To transfer that to your bike, move one pedal to the six o'clock position then move that same pedal inline with the seat tube. Measure 32.75" inline with the seat tube from the top of the saddle to the top of the pedal. Sounds goofy, but it is taking into account that, A) you will wearing shoes, and, B) your butt cheeks will compress and move your hips closer to the pedals. You may need to raise or lower your saddle for personal preference, but not more than a quarter inch at a time. Sounds complicated but only takes a couple minutes. Less if you have help or a third arm. I've been setting my bikes up like this since the 70s but YMMV.

The compact frame size explains why those wheels looked larger. And Doc is correct about the rear suspension. The rear suspension on cheap bikes is abysmal at best and is there for looks. On high end bikes, though, it works and works well but is extremely expensive. Best stuff is on Downhill machines and those are several thousand dollar bikes.

Have fun.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-02-2016, 02:58 AM   #7

LOL.... love the name on it "huffy"
thats what I would be doing if I had
to ride it any distance....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
LOL.... love the name on it "huffy"
thats what I would be doing if I had
to ride it any distance....

Oh trust me, I DID!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #9

Well, I did not get so technical as to take measurements in inches or monkey meters, nor did I use my protractor to test different angles. All's I knows is now I have it where it feels much better to pedal.
It is much lower now. Like maybe an inch up from as low as it can go.
Little more strain on the thighs going uphill, , , but feels better on the flats.
My boney ass still does not like the seat though. Even with the $20.00 gel pad. ;-/ So I got a wider even more cushy seat for it now to put on.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #10

That you are comfortable is where you want to be.

Us old farts that have been doing this for longer than we care to remember get a bit carried away with the set up.

Just ride.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800