Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #1

Initial review on the 1st of 2 Hawks i assembled....

Got the blue one together with minor issues. Fit and finish, 7 out of 10. Muffler is mounted too high and hitting frame. Cannot lower it without modifying the welded on hanger which will be a winter project for me. Due to this the plastic muffler cover had to be hacked in order for the side panel to fit. I was so frustrated trying to fit it i forgot to take a photo. The rest of the plastics are a crap shoot at best. VERY flimsy mounts and tabs but i got them installed. The bracket that holds the ones around the fuel tank had to be modified as it was vibrating against the bottom of the fuel tank. Had to modify the rear brake light switch so it would pull straight. Got it working pretty good but the nut slips if you hit the brakes too hard and then the brake light don't work. Think i'm going to see if i can find METAL nuts to replace the plastic ones it came with as even though i only tightened with my Gerber needle nose, it seems stripped out.

On to the running part, Started right up! Idled for a bit and took it around the pasture. Seems boggy and can't wait for the Mikuni i ordered to come in. Needs adjustment for my 3,000' elevation. Bogginess somewhat went away when i changed out to the NGK plug. Ran over to my plumbers house across the valley to drop off a check tonight and about froze my ARSE off! Bike runs good on the road and seems to have enough power but anything over 45MPH, (speedo reads 3MPH fast) and the vibration is too much. I kept looking for 6th gear due to this. Will likely upgrade the front sprocket so i can cruise at 55 but don't want to affect my bottom end for mountain riding. Seat seems to want to push me forward all the time and found myself sliding back every mile or so. Fork tubes are extended all the way out and i'm hoping the rear suspension will settle in so this small issue stops.

Overall i am please for what i spent. I never expected a perfect bike but dollar for dollar, it was a GREAT deal! Anyone have any suggestions for decent hand guards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150927_192105.jpg (100.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 20150927_192008.jpg (94.6 KB, 131 views)

Old 09-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

Thanks for your thoughts on the Hawk! Am I wrong, or was it also a Hawk that someone else had a problem with the angle for the rear brake light switch also? At least parts for these seems pretty reasonable.
Powersportsmax has these at $3018. I called last week to get a shipping price, and was quoted $200 to near Hilo Hawaii. I can't buy that shipping is nthat cheap, so, I left an online message to have them recheck. That was early last week. True to the norm, they have not got back to me. I either called, chatted online with a real person, or shot off am email to at least 6 sellers. One got back to me, and that was Wade that sells the TMEC. I tjonk the TMEC's are pretty decent. But, they use some oddball rear sprocket, and since about all these bikes are made undergeared......
I'd be interested in how those big knobbies feel on the street, and on a wet street too.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on the Hawk! Am I wrong, or was it also a Hawk that someone else had a problem with the angle for the rear brake light switch also? At least parts for these seems pretty reasonable.
Powersportsmax has these at $3018. I called last week to get a shipping price, and was quoted $200 to near Hilo Hawaii. I can't buy that shipping is nthat cheap, so, I left an online message to have them recheck. That was early last week. True to the norm, they have not got back to me. I either called, chatted online with a real person, or shot off am email to at least 6 sellers. One got back to me, and that was Wade that sells the TMEC. I tjonk the TMEC's are pretty decent. But, they use some oddball rear sprocket, and since about all these bikes are made undergeared......
I'd be interested in how those big knobbies feel on the street, and on a wet street too.

Tires where not bad on the street at 45-50 MPH. A little sketchy on gravel but then again it's been 20 years since i have had a bike. I look at it this way, I would look at $4,000-$5000 for a comparable new Jap bike so if i have to futz with this one a little, no big deal! I bought a pair from these guys....http://www.apscusa.com/New-2015-CCA-...ACK_p_492.html