Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

So, I hit a dog

So anyway, last Thursday I got off work, and took Chonda out to go see my aunt and uncle. That didn't happen. 200 feet from my front door a Boston terrior jumped out in front of me. It basically dicked the whole bike up. And my knees. Yeah!

So my question to you guys is this, I'm gonna fix the bike, what do you think about a jap crap supermoto? Trade in, sell? Go!

Old 07-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #2

Depends on how bad it got dicked up. I had the same thing happen a couple years ago, a dog run along side then crossed in front at less than 20mph. I went to the hosp, the scooter went end over end. All plastic scratched or broken. Right now it sets leaning on a tree with the head stock sprung and the ign key broke off and still in the on position. I had a good mind to take my tractor and drag it up into the neighbors drive who owned the dog and light it.

If you were happy with it and feel its too far gone you might consider another just like it and have a parts bike. Fixing up when you need a lot of parts might not be a good idea. john

Old 07-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

I was doing 35-40mph when I killed the pooch. I'll fix the bike, no problem, outside of parts suppliers. It would be nice to have a bike that didn't set 17 inches off the ground and you could get parts for.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbracing View Post
what do you think about a jap crap supermoto?

"jap crap" bike? Really? That's the best description you could think of? Maybe you'd rather pick up a cheap Chink knock-off.

Jeez, you sound like you're right out of some '70s biker movie.

Too much negative baggage with that term...

Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Hey, hey.....As long as people think it is crap it keeps the price real low for us people in the know. Shuuuush.......!

Old 07-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #6

While living in Mozambique and riding a Suzuki 50 we used to have a load of problems with dogs chasing us barking, and usually you just ignored them, raised the leg on that side - just in case - and opened he throttle. One day we were riding along a beach dressed only in our speedos (it was a long time ago!!) when this dog ran towards me - as usual lifted the leg on that side and kept going, and so did he! Right across the front of me! Bike, me and dog in a big pile on he sand, and I hit the ground running after him - a guy came out and said he would catch the dog so I could kick it, when all I wanted to do was see it was OK!! Never did catch up with it so assume it was fine.
Upshot was a few sand burns (I had been drinking a bit!) and the front mudguard (metal) of the bike sandblasted clean! "Jap crap" proved strong as an ox!

Old 07-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #7

I do have a Harley. 😛
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkN View Post
"jap crap" bike? Really? That's the best description you could think of? Maybe you'd rather pick up a cheap Chink knock-off.

Jeez, you sound like you're right out of some '70s biker movie.

Too much negative baggage with that term...

Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #8

One method for dealing with chasing dogs is to decelerate approaching the dog then accellerate as you near him. it messes up his intercept vector. Try it sometime!

Past: 2012 Honda NC700x, 2014 Taotao ATM-50-A1, 2014 Taotao Evo, 19?? Honda Spree 50, 1982 Katana 550

Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
One method for dealing with chasing dogs is to decelerate approaching the dog then accellerate as you near him. it messes up his intercept vector. Try it sometime!
+1 on this. Messes with their minds. Good test to see if you are smarter than a dog. Keeps everyone from getting hurt.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

Oh yeah it does, but this pooch came right out of the ditch.