Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #1

200cc Gio T3 bogging, stalling and backfiring

Hey guys,

I just got my T3 in October. Up until about a month ago it ran fine, it would start up no problem, I could drive it around all day and it would have plenty of power etc. Then one day I was out driving it and it would bog down and sputter and backfire. Eventually it stalled and I couldn't get it to start for 30 seconds or so. I thought at the time maybe it overheated so I let it sit for a few minutes and then it started up, but it died again on a long highspeed straight away where it would have been getting plenty of cooling.

The bogging/stalling and backfiring seems to happen between 1/4 and full throttle. This to me suggested that maybe with the drop in temps over the last month I needed to make some carb adjustments. So I read the guide on adjusting the carb, set my idle and mixture screws, and moved the float needle to the very bottom ring. Still no luck, I took it out today in -10 weather after a 10 minute warm up and it started doing it again. Its to the point now where I can't even hit high rpms in second gear.

Let me also include that everything is stock, carb, cdi etc.

I checked my spark plug, it is black around the threads and igniter, but the very tip where the metal probe(?) hangs over the igniter is white. I assume this means I'm running too lean.

Anyone have any ideas where to start?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #2

I'm no expert on carbs but it almost sounds like your main jet is plugged or dirty. Also, if the outside temps have dropped a lot you might have to go to a fatter jet, a white electrode is way to lean.

I never could get my 200cc Beast to run right with the stock carb, it was always bogging and sputtering no matter how I adjusted it. In the end I bought the upgraded carb off GIO's auction site, a few minor tweaks and it was purring like a kitten .

Old 01-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

MICRider speaks the truth, as usual.

I bought a 30mm Mikuni and installed a 110 main and 25 slow jet, and haven't looked back. It runs great, hot or cold.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Maybe ill bite the bullet and get a Mikuni.

Anyone have any secret cheap places to get them? There arent any for auction on the gio site.

Edit:: will any 30mm mikuni carb work? I can find them on ebay for $30.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #5

Show us the eBay link you found, and one of us will let you know.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #6

How about something like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/30MM-MIKUNI-C...item25525521c4

Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #7

That's exactly the style I've installed a few times. You'll need to swap over your existing cable choke assembly and change the jets, but it'll be great.

I used this filter with it: 42mm Air Cleaner It has a better angle than a Uni, and it's far less expensive.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #8

Thanks Weld! I ordered the carb and some air filters. I'll check the cycle shops around here, hopefully they carry carb jets.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #9

You're welcome.

Be sure to oil the inner core of the filter with quality oil. I use Maxima Fab1 filter oil. Good stuff.