Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

The [i]Dirt Rat 2[/i] plays in the sand! Videos included!

Roger and I went to the Juniper Dunes Winderness Area just outside of town today after church. What a beautiful day! Sunny and fairly warm, no wind. What a blessing .

This was The Dirt Rat 2's first trip with me to the sand dunes. Where as it's a good trail bike, my skills were not sufficent to ride confidently over the sand dunes, but we did OK. Once I learned to keep my speed up, third gear, stand, lean back, and pray I did OK :wink: .

I did take some pictures of some expert riders jumping though. I hope you enjoy the videos. :P

Roger took the KLX. He's heavier than I am and had a harder time with the sand. Although he fell only once to my twice. All three get-offs were at 0 MPH. Sand it tough! :?

The bicycle speedometer is doing well. 50 miles between yesterday and today. Yesterday was desert singletrack, lots of scrub brush, sage, juniper, and cheat grass. Nothing seemed to bother the installation.

Not me obviously. This bike had a plate and blinkers on it!

These two kids were in their 20's and very nice. Their mom (I believe) was at the top of the sand dune with a Razer taking videos.

This sand dune was at LEAST 100 feet tall, likely closer to twice that. Hard to tell in the pic though.

The general terrain.

Tired Doc!

Brother Roger is trashed.

More Washington desert.

Stuck.

My humble Ranger.

An F-150 with a broken front suspension from jumping out in the dune area.

Please watch the videos!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #2

Sweet! That looks like an absolute riot! The sand looks really fine, almost like powder? Our sand here is much more granular. Love the DR2 pics and the videos of the jumpers, thank you for sharing! 8)

P.S. Was that big tow truck in the pic with your Ranger there to tow the Ford with broken suspension away?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #3

The tow truck was for the F150 all right. It looked pretty damaged, or the front wheels couldn't agree on a direction :wink: .

The sand was like regular beach sand. Not at all dusty which was nice. Also, unlike the mud I rode in last week, no cleanup or riding gear laundering required. :P

The Dirt Rat 2. is a good bike. A worthy successor to the original.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #4

I'm glad the videos played for you. Photobucket is a little tricky/unrelaible for me.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the pics and vids, Doc. I got out for a good road ride today, but I would've rather been on a dirt bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #6

Thanks for posting the nice photos and cool videos, Doc! Unlike you, I prefer anything to sand. In fact, I actually enjoy riding in the mud. :P

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894