Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #1

Smile Motorcycle newbie, just bought a hawk 250

Hi everyone,
Been lurking on here for a while and I've been impressed at just how good of a resource this forum is for information and tutorials. I'm also pretty new in the hobby. I've only ridden a 125cc dirt bike in the past and that was just for a few months.
When I was shopping for a bike, I was looking for something entry-level, low cost and something that would force me to learn some basic skills in motorcycle upkeep and hence I chose the hawk. I figured with all youtube videos and some patience, I could figure things out.
Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and the world of Hawking. You definitely picked the right bike to learn on. Nothing like diving in head first.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

Hey.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie88 View Post
Hi everyone,
Been lurking on here for a while and I've been impressed at just how good of a resource this forum is for information and tutorials. I'm also pretty new in the hobby. I've only ridden a 125cc dirt bike in the past and that was just for a few months.
When I was shopping for a bike, I was looking for something entry-level, low cost and something that would force me to learn some basic skills in motorcycle upkeep and hence I chose the hawk. I figured with all youtube videos and some patience, I could figure things out.
Anyway, just wanted to say hi!
I agree with Dan; you picked the right bike to start. I was new to bikes 2 years ago and bought the Bashan version of the Hawk (I.e., the Enforcer). I really enjoyed the assembly part. I’m was used to wrenching on cars, but i had never worked on motorcycles before. Buying that bike forced me to learn things about working on things like motorcycle suspension and bleeding brakes that I had never done before. I ended up selling the bike very soon after I bought it and I bought a Suzuki street bike. I wanted something that I could ride an hour to work with on the highway. However, I can say that working on the Hawk made me more comfortable working on bikes in general. Unless you prefer to take your bike into a shop for everything including oil changes (I know guys like that), every bike needs some form of maintenance. And, it’s better to learn to do things on your own, within your comfort and ability level. One guy I know takes his Harley into the stealership for a $150 oil change. That’s ridiculous and a waste of money. These bikes kind of force you to learn to work on motorcycles because finding people to work on them is pretty rare.

I sold my Suzuki too that same summer (I buy and sell things) and actually didn’t have a bike for about a year and a half. I missed it though. So, I bought the Apollo this year and now I also have an older Honda cruiser style bike that needed some maintenance due to lack of care from the previous owner. I’ve installed new wheel bearings and new brakes on the Honda and a new carb on the Apollo. Again, I’ve never done this stuff before, but my comfort level for it was much better due to the little bit of time I had the Hawk/Enforcer.

Have fun with it, and have some patience and I’m sure you will learn a lot in a very short time.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:21 AM   #5

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F303077495104

Useful maybe for a newbie n owner

Old 04-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum

PS... Can we just get a damn sticky in every subforum already so that link can stop being spammed in every new thread

Thaaaaanks

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #7

Cool, you will enjoy it.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:50 AM   #8

Welcome.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #9

Welcome! I am not an expert here, but you will find tons of valuable info from some down to earth people. I almost got the hawk for my wife, and needed to lower it a bit as we are shorter people. Therefore lots of hawk people have posted ways to accomplish this task. There is so much carb/jetting into here. Because of all the valuable info here, it will take you a month or two to read it all....LOL.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #10

Hey newbie - Our stories sound similar. Head still spinning trying to find all the info and figure out what to do first. I'd like to get it running in a steady state with as much OEM as possible before I start modding.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapchina View Post
Hey newbie - Our stories sound similar. Head still spinning trying to find all the info and figure out what to do first. I'd like to get it running in a steady state with as much OEM as possible before I start modding.
Take a look in my eBay for the tune kit and some tools - listed under Hawk 250.
This should help and make it easier etc
Just a suggestion