Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

Winter storm No power

Normal in winter, but not normal in Houston TX. I have been through subfreezing weather in TX, but not without electricity. Thank God for propane and solar! I'll get through it with instant coffee, canned goods and mullwine.
Being such a genius, I left my generator at the beach house I sold last summer. I thought the new residents would need it more than me. Sure could use that generator now.

[ATTACH]u[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210215_125343.jpg (139.5 KB, 83 views)

Old 02-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #2

And people wonder why I am knee deep in Coleman products. Eat lots of beans and snuggle with your other half. She'll hate you for it unless she has the same idea.

Sub zero here in NE Illannoy but we still have power. Stay warm.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 02-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #3

Been a while since I have done winter camping, but a few things are coming back to me now, sorta.
-We have one of those am/fm/wx emergency radios that you can recharge by turning a crank. We never used it when we lived at the beach, even during hurricane Harvey. I'm using it now, to reduce smart phone use.
-There is no power at my work office either, so the network is down so I can't get work done from home, even on battery power.
- I want to go outside (18 degrees f) and do some things, but it just takes too long to get warmed up again without power.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #4

Rolling power outages here in the north texas area. Glad I've got a heater buddy and propane stove.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 02-15-2021, 08:38 PM   #5

My mom and buddy TJ back in GA have been complaining about the weather non-stop for the past week. They got some freezing rain and snow, and it's been miserably cloudy and cold the past little bit. Every time they say how much they hate it, I send them a picture of me in the back yard next to the grill in shorts and a t-shirt. We've been eating a lot of grilled foods the past couple days, but for a completely different reason. I think the high today out here in Phoenix was 71* today. It's a tough life...

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 02-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #6

I lived in the Phoenix area for 15 years. It was really fun. We had a couple of summer nights where the power was off or our HVAC broke down. That wasn't much fun either. At least we had no mosquitos in Phoenix.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:45 PM   #7

You guys are causing us power outages up here, and our temps are well below zero. -22 for the low tonight.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-16-2021, 03:56 AM   #8

Cold and snow at home in Bend Or, glad I'm here camping in Az. Just wind and pleasent temps but as dry as I've ever seen it. Nearly zero rain here over the last 12 months so the creosote bushes are more orange than green and the washes (ATV freeways) really need a flush. Hugely different than 2 years ago when flowers covered the desert and the coyotes were fat and happy.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #9

Just saying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1613477726991.jpg (77.0 KB, 77 views)
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-16-2021, 09:21 AM   #10

Lol, funny one Jerry...

One of the many places I work is a North American fertilizer giant. They buy natural gas in blocks and use it to make ammonia. They purchased these blocks at 2 dollars a unit but due to these extrem temperatures down south Natural gas prices skyrocketed to 80 dollars per unit. They shut down all southern factories, stopped making ammonia and instead sold all the gas back to the gas companies for far more profit then if they used it to make ammonia. Then used the opportunity to do maintenance like a miniture turnaround.

2014 Honda CB500XA
2016 CSC TT250
1976 Honda CJ360T
2022 Honda Navi

Old 02-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #11

We've had a fair amount of snow here in Ohio the last 10 days but no power outages and the temps haven't been bad (5° to 32°). But I'm sure us northeners are a little better prepared for nasty weather and power outages. I've got lanterns, oil lamps, canned heat, and kerosene heaters along with a camping stove and several cords of firewood stacked. I don't know about the shelf life of canned heat (my supply is many years old), but I figure as long as it's still sealed it should be viable.

The big thing is keep your pantry stocked with lots of canned goods and peanut butter. My deep freezer is outside and well stocked so winter power outages don't affect it. I don't have a generator at the moment but I've had my eye out for a diesel welder. We've also got 4 4x4 trucks and alot of livestock to harvest. ~ And a country boy will survive ~

Jk, y'all stay warm down there in Texas and Louisiana, you'll be sweating again before ya know it.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 02-17-2021, 07:48 PM   #12

i went to my son's house in Spring Branch on Monday afternoon because he still had power and water. By Tuesday morning he had neither.
-The power at my place was restored in the middle of Tuesday nite, so I returned on Wednesday. No water for at least two more days, though.
-No bottled water at my local grocer, so I bought a lot of club soda (burp!). Can't wait to taste coffee made with club soda.
-I am collecting rain water to flush toilets and such. It is still raining a lot.
-I am keeping my TV turned off until power is restored in all of my county. I don't know how much that really helps those still without power get it restored, but it makes me feel like I am helping them.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 02-17-2021 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add text

Old 02-18-2021, 06:09 AM   #13

Wisconsin here.....it's been really cold this last 2 weeks and starting to warm up again in the 20's this weekend. This winter is holding on with more snow in my yard then we have had over the years. Looking forward to getting back on the bike hopefully next month. Good luck take care and stay warm and safe.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #14

Our water and power problems are being rapidly solved, Texas style.
-One of our US Senators went to Mexico on vacation (he flew back after the press caught him there)
-The Mayor of Houston and Governor of Texas still have not spoken to each other, 5 days into the crisis.
-These guys need to put politics aside for a minute or two and solve some effing problems.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Cold and snow at home in Bend Or, glad I'm here camping in Az. Just wind and pleasent temps but as dry as I've ever seen it. Nearly zero rain here over the last 12 months so the creosote bushes are more orange than green and the washes (ATV freeways) really need a flush. Hugely different than 2 years ago when flowers covered the desert and the coyotes were fat and happy.
We had some decent rain the past month in Yuma. I was hoping for more, actually, but then we kept getting sunny and in the 70s. To be honest, I would prefer some more winter weather and not just high 30s/low 40s in the morning and then warm up to 70s. I want 50s all day, and if we don't get rain, at least cloudy like it's going to rain. Just for a few months to counter-balance the 110s to 120s in the summer for days and weeks on end...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard