Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2024, 11:03 PM   #1

Which one to get?

I like a second bike, next to my Vader.
Mostly a commuter, with an occasional 2 mile highway stretch (at 65-75mph).
My Vader 150 just doesn't cut it in the speed department.
Most roads I go on, require me to do 55-60 mph, and I always feel like I'm wringing out all the bike got to give, except if there's a tail wind.
Despite my height, I do love the form factor and weight of the Vader, but need more comfortable riding at 65-70mph.

I want lightweight, street legal (or capable to be registered for), with the possibility of a luggage rack. Preferably a 120+ mile range per tank.

So far, I've been looking at the Templar, the Magician, and the Titan DLX.
For some reason, I'm not too fond of the hawk. Looks too old, weighs too much.

I'm 200lbs and 6'4" tall, and will be commuting mostly on non highway roads. I do prefer the suspension of these type of bikes over, say, a cruiser bike, or sports bike.
And I want to put a small storage bag on the back, so if it has a luggage rack, that would be a plus. Or at least a way to mount such a bag.

Old 06-02-2024, 11:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I like a second bike, next to my Vader.
Mostly a commuter, with an occasional 2 mile highway stretch (at 65-75mph).
My Vader 150 just doesn't cut it in the speed department.
Most roads I go on, require me to do 55-60 mph, and I always feel like I'm wringing out all the bike got to give, except if there's a tail wind.
Despite my height, I do love the form factor and weight of the Vader, but need more comfortable riding at 65-70mph.

I want lightweight, street legal (or capable to be registered for), with the possibility of a luggage rack. Preferably a 120+ mile range per tank.

So far, I've been looking at the Templar, the Magician, and the Titan DLX.
For some reason, I'm not too fond of the hawk. Looks too old, weighs too much.

I'm 200lbs and 6'4" tall, and will be commuting mostly on non highway roads. I do prefer the suspension of these type of bikes over, say, a cruiser bike, or sports bike.
And I want to put a small storage bag on the back, so if it has a luggage rack, that would be a plus. Or at least a way to mount such a bag.
None of those bikes will be happy running at 55 - 60 constantly. That's not what they are made for. As an example, my Titan DLX out of the box turned 7000 rpm at 45mph. Not to mention, they have dirt bike ergos, which suck if you plan on setting down for more than 10 minutes at a time. You would be much better off getting a small road bike.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 06-02-2024, 11:41 PM   #3

I'd probably look for a 2nd hand Suzuki DR650 or DRZ400 in the dualsport catagory

Or perhaps something from Royal Enfield.

Basically what you are looking for has 30hp+

But if you're stuck with made in china and doing road based commuting just get the templar X 250 with the counterbalnced engine and 6 gears then find the right sprocket ratio compromise at about 20hp.

Old 06-03-2024, 05:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003 View Post
None of those bikes will be happy running at 55 - 60 constantly. That's not what they are made for. As an example, my Titan DLX out of the box turned 7000 rpm at 45mph. Not to mention, they have dirt bike ergos, which suck if you plan on setting down for more than 10 minutes at a time. You would be much better off getting a small road bike.

Nothing a set of sprockets could change, but thank you.
I bought a cg250, which should have close to the same mount points as the 138cc on my vader.
Just hoping things will fit.
There are a bunch of cables I'll need to figure out what to do with.

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #5

These are Dirt bikes that can be used on the street. You need a street bike that is designed to go 65+ miles per hour for extended periods, and these are not. Even the counter balanced 6 speed TEMPLAR will be rung out at 70mph. Get something that can go 100, and be comfortable at 65. If it's gotta be a dual sport, you are looking at 400cc and up. A nice old XR or DR or KLR 400 could be sweet.