Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #1

Hawk 250 rocker arm help!

I recently purchased a Hawk 250cc enduro...i assembled it...broke in the engine....after a day or two i started doing some MODS and Adjustments...i Mod the air box...then...i did a VALVE ADJUSTMENT!..I adjusted the valves at .003 and .004 with my feeler gauge..i hand torque the nuts back down and fired up the back....it started right up..no problem...i did hear some rattling...so i shut it off...after work the next day i took the valve cover off to see the Valve Adjustments after the engine was warm...only to find...ONE ROCKER ARM IS STUCK SHUT ON A VALVE AND IT SEEM STUCK ON THE PUSH ROD...AND THE PUSH ROD SEEMS A BIT HIGHER THAN THE OTHER....I DIDNT SEE THIS PROBLEM ON NO WEBSITE I NEED HELP PLEASE...the other rocker moves but the other doesnt at all....IM SCARED THE PUSH ROD IS BLOWN.I NEED TO KNOW BECAUSE I STILL GOT THE WARRANTY...I JUST WANT TO RIDE MY BIKE...HELP PLEASE!

Old 03-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttaHawk View Post
I recently purchased a Hawk 250cc enduro...i assembled it...broke in the engine....after a day or two i started doing some MODS and Adjustments...i Mod the air box...then...i did a VALVE ADJUSTMENT!..I adjusted the valves at .003 and .004 with my feeler gauge..i hand torque the nuts back down and fired up the back....it started right up..no problem...i did hear some rattling...so i shut it off...after work the next day i took the valve cover off to see the Valve Adjustments after the engine was warm...only to find...ONE ROCKER ARM IS STUCK SHUT ON A VALVE AND IT SEEM STUCK ON THE PUSH ROD...AND THE PUSH ROD SEEMS A BIT HIGHER THAN THE OTHER....I DIDNT SEE THIS PROBLEM ON NO WEBSITE I NEED HELP PLEASE...the other rocker moves but the other doesnt at all....IM SCARED THE PUSH ROD IS BLOWN.I NEED TO KNOW BECAUSE I STILL GOT THE WARRANTY...I JUST WANT TO RIDE MY BIKE...HELP PLEASE!
I don't know what is wrong from your description, but here is what I would do if it was mine. I would take out the spark plug, dis-connect it from the wire, tie the wire to where it can not ground itself on any thing, then try turning the engine over with the kick-starter (by hand) rather slowly. Watch the rocker/pushrod action. Let us know what happens. You have to do this with the valve cover off, by the way. Hopefully this will get us started on a solution....ARH

Old 03-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #3

Thanks i appreciate it....i noticed one push rod is higher than the other but that rocker arm is shut solid on the spring...to the point where i cant even do a valve adjustment on the one side

Old 03-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Sounds like you don't have the crankshaft at TDC on the compression stroke.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #5

TDC...i forgot to do that how is that done

Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks i appreciate it....i noticed one push rod is higher than the other but that rocker arm is shut solid on the spring...to the point where i cant even do a valve adjustment on the one side
Let me make this little point gently: If you are not at top dead center ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE, it is very difficult to adjust the valves.....ARH

Old 03-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
TDC...i forgot to do that how is that done
There are several ways to find top dead center, but I do it the old fashioned way. I break a straw off of a broom (not a plastic broom, a real broom), keep turning the engine slowly while sticking the broom straw in and out until I hit the piston with the straw. When the piston is at the top of its stroke, there will not be very much straw in the hole. The you try to twirl the pushrods to make sure you are on the compression stroke. If you can only twist one push rod, you are not on the compression stroke. Set the valves to .003 inch clearance. That is three thousanths of an inch. I can't tell you the mm to set it at if you have a mm feeler guage. Somebody else can....ARH

Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #8

If you don't have a broom handy ,you can always take the plug off the left side engine case on the top beside the cylinder ,then rotate the engine around until the line with the t lines up with the mark on the case .

Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #9

ARH please fact check me but this is how I do it:

As you can see in this illustration you know you are about to be on the compression stroke after the intake valve opens. keep turning the engine over by hand slowly until you see the intake valve moving. Once you see it go down and start to come up start looking for that T mark or line on your flywheel. Once you get that line centered on the inspection hole ( there is usually a notch ) you are good to go. Then and only then set your valves. Good luck young Jedi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 stroke illustration.jpg (54.1 KB, 546 views)

Old 03-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #10

I would bet one one of the valves is open.... motor not on TDC /compression stroke..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 03-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #11

Thank u guys so much...i really appreciate it i just wanna ride my bike its my first ever im still learning so much...i owe all u guys big time

Old 03-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Thank u guys so much...i really appreciate it i just wanna ride my bike its my first ever im still learning so much...i owe all u guys big time
take a look at motocheese's video on youtube.Another thing sitting on the bike the left side of the crank case there is a chrome cap take that off get a bright light look in there put the bike in 3,4,or 5 gear and push it till you see a T that is top dead center ,but like thee diagram shows the piston has to be at the top of the stroke ,to verify this pull the plug and verify it.once again watch the video its easier to see it than explain it.When i was a young boy i did an adjustment to my xr 100 and had the piston at the bottom stroke and when i fired it up it sounded like a bb gun.

Last edited by joeboyk; 03-11-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: more info

Old 03-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #13

Hahaha Whew i know the feeling man i was a scared ass hahaha...mine did sound like a bb gun a change in a garbage can....whew so glad u guys help...im gonna watch motocheez video again....Thanx

Old 03-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Hahaha Whew i know the feeling man i was a scared ass hahaha...mine did sound like a bb gun a change in a garbage can....whew so glad u guys help...im gonna watch motocheez video again....Thanx
No problem we're here to help.Another good point someone made here Green bike maybe was feeler gauges can be wrong a set he bought from harbor freight was off a few thousandths.I think he said to use 2 and 3 to make five .Ill look for his post.Look up green hawk250 it was he who mentioned it

Last edited by joeboyk; 03-11-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: info

Old 03-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
If you don't have a broom handy ,you can always take the plug off the left side engine case on the top beside the cylinder ,then rotate the engine around until the line with the t lines up with the mark on the case .
Yes, it does. But the t comes up twice (it's a four stroke). The t doesn't tell you if it is on the compression stroke or on the exhaust stroke. It has to be on the compression stroke . Or the job is much more complicated. To explain. Not to do.....ARH