Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #1

digital dash tach signal

Does anyone know what type of signal and perhaps the amplitude for the tach signal on ths hawk250 digital cluster?

Reason being im trying to adapt it to a honda AC cdi with no dedicated tach output wire.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

Blue wire with white stripe in the harness near the battery. At about 7.27 in this video shows where to connect.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-29-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

I know where it went on the old dc cdi, but im using an ac cdi. the zong has gone, and been replaced with a Honda xl500s engine.

I dont need the tach to work just would be nice since I was able to get every other option to function, I thought ill look into making the tach work.

The honda has 3 stator outputs, 2 ac and one dc pulse, one of the ac taps goes to the cdi along with the vr sensor output, and the other 2 are for charging, one connected right up to the hawks voltage regulator and the other is hooked up to a single leg regulator as its grounded at the stator.
on the xl500 that dc pulse tap goes straight to the headlamp.

Hmm I bet there is one pulse per rev on that tap. I still need to know what type of signal the tach expects to see.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:10 AM   #4

For sh*ts and grins, I would take the output wire from the tach and wrap it around the spark plug wire 5 or 6 times and see if you get a signal. Never know?
Any Hawk 250 wire diagrams out there?

One the other hand, I thought Honda stock wired the headlights AC straight from the stator, and the horn, blinkers, tail/stop were the DC side of it? Or did you do some rewiring on the ole girl? It is nice to have a bright headlight at idle when its on DC, though.

Kirk

Old 08-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkallen143 View Post
For sh*ts and grins, I would take the output wire from the tach and wrap it around the spark plug wire 5 or 6 times and see if you get a signal. Never know?
Any Hawk 250 wire diagrams out there?

One the other hand, I thought Honda stock wired the headlights AC straight from the stator, and the horn, blinkers, tail/stop were the DC side of it? Or did you do some rewiring on the ole girl? It is nice to have a bright headlight at idle when its on DC, though.

Kirk
Perhaps, Id need to look at the diagram again, but there was a 6v regulator attached to the pink and yellow wires "AC out"

I am using the ac side of the stator to feed the 12v regulator stock hawk item, and purchased a 4wire 1 leg vr for the dc side, so all charging taps are going to the battery through 12v reg's.

It's important to me that all the lights can run off the battery. IE they should come on with the key and not require the engine be running.

I figured that adding the second charging circuit might help with low rpm charging.

I was a bit scared to try the wrap the wire method as I dont want to fry the tach.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:36 AM   #6

I found this device for $20 AUD.

info
http://www.rae-san.com/products/accessories/
purchase
http://www.rae-san.com/product/cdi-tacho-adaptor/

Promises to convert any cdi to a tach signal.
I will do an update with the results when it gets here.
price is right it was a bit over $15 USD.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:15 AM   #7

try these guys in the US...
they have a few trick bits for the older problum bikes..

http://parduebrothers.com/

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

[QUOTE=I am using the ac side of the stator to feed the 12v regulator stock hawk item, and purchased a 4wire 1 leg vr for the dc side, so all charging taps are going to the battery through 12v reg's.

[/QUOTE]

Got the wiring buttoned up this morning other than the tach, and got the bike fired up, Loud as shit through the hawks aftermarket slip-on.

Bat voltage went from 13.9 to 14.6 as soon as the engine started. so it appears to charge well even at idle. considering the xl500s was a 6v system this is a nice surprise

I didnt attach the regulator wire to the second vr, I was afraid if the regulated voltage was different even by a little between the two they might battle over charging and regulating. seems to work.

Our hawks have a horrendous wiring system with all sorts of joins hiddin in the loom. and they are just crimped. I soldered any of those I found, Removed all the wires for the starting circuit, and the old connections to the old engine.

During this project I did major modifications to the frame of my bike. I can tell you although the welds are ugly, the frame is strong beyond my belief.
The lower cradle tubing is massive, and takes a beating without denting. I had to clearance a bit and it took an hour of beating it with a ballpeen before it even made a small dent. People around the shop couldnt believe that it took soo much to pound a dent in that tube.