Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #1

Burned my cb bridge, now a klr in the garage

I ran across a deal on cl I couldn't pass up and picked up a 2007 klr650 yesterday. The ol gy5 is history and the 650 is in ohhh the power. Here is the first pic with new avon's and a new corbin seat that came with it.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #2

Nice KLR!

One of my favorite all-around bikes.

You should see what Roger's KLR was able to do on yesterday's ride. In capable hands it's a capable bike. Just be sure to respect it's immense mass in the dirt.

How do you like the Corbin?

I generally like them a lot and put one on one of my KLR's and I hated it. Pushed the boys into the tank and prohibited position change to the rear, and was too narrow at the front to support the thighs. I traded it for a different Corbin for my ZX-11 and went back to stock...

Old 07-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #3

Fantastic bikes! Your gonna love it . The Avons (assuming Gripsters?) are great tires as well, I've got 11,000 km's on mine and they look like they will last at while yet. Enjoy and welcome to the KLR Klub 8)

Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #4

Which Avons?

Gripsters?

If so they are well suited for the KLR.

However, for some reason, the only bike I ever low-sided was my XR250L on Gripsters. They let go on a hard turn into the parking lot at my office.

Road rash and I was late for my first appointment of the afternoon. Walked in bandaged. Oh well.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #5

What happened the GY5?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #6

Congratulations! That's a nice looking bike, Driller. The KLR650 is a terrific motorcycle; I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #7

Thanks guys. The gy-5 went to my oldest son he is riding it to work now. Yes the avons are gripsters and I like them alot they seem even better than the shinko 705s I had just put on the gy-5.

Wow this bike has alot of torque 8O 8O 8O I am still unsure about the corbin seat, maybe if it was the flat model I would like it better but the valley at the front is annoying, the back half is comfortable however.

She is gonna need a countershaft sprocket change, going up one tooth as all I do is road and don't need that much low torque and I would like the highway rpms down a bit.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #8

So the GY is still in the family. The torque is one of the big pluses to a KLR. I liked the bike, but needed about 2 more inches of inseam to feel comfortable.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #9

I did not like that style Corbin to be sure. :?

They have since come out with a newer one, but the new style stock seats are quite OK also.

A one tooth larger countershaft sprocket will work with the stock chain. It will be fine for the road but way too tall for trail riding. It would be OK for desert and fire roads though, and that's where the KLR does well. 8)

Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #10

I know the stock saddle on the 2nd generation KLR650 is very comfortable. If that saddle fits your 1st generation bike, I would switch to the stock saddle. You can probably find a slightly used, stock saddle for a very good price on eBay. Then sell the Corbin saddle for a profit; a lot of people will buy it just because of the name.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #11

That's exactly what I was thinking. :wink:

Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I know the stock saddle on the 2nd generation KLR650 is very comfortable. If that saddle fits your 1st generation bike, I would switch to the stock saddle. You can probably find a slightly used, stock saddle for a very good price on eBay. Then sell the Corbin saddle for a profit; a lot of people will buy it just because of the name.

Spud
Yup, I believe the Gen 2 saddle will fit a Gen 1 bike. The only difference is that the Gen 2 saddle has a small clip that engages a tab on the back of the tank. I don't think the clip gets in the way of installing it on a Gen 1 though. I put a seatconcepts.com saddle on my bike, it's wider so makes commuting so much more comfortable than the stocker... I think the kit was about $160 and utilizes your stock seat pan. I sold my Corbin Dual Platform and used the proceeds to buy the Seat concepts kit. Had some money left over even

Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #13

That seat idea is a possibility although I do like the back of the corbin just wish it was the flat model, may look or post on cl to trade for a flat corbin.
I think I am gonna miss the fuel mileage although I did ride this first tank pretty hard just trying to feel her out and decide if the 16 tooth is necessary. I got 50 on this tank and am used to 80 or so on the gy-5 we'll see what happens with more reasonable conservative riding and the 16 tooth(yup ordered it tonight). I know some have used a 17 but I just don't think I believe bumping first gear that high is a good idea, maybe a slightly smaller rear, 41?, at a later date.

I did get the bike master foam grips on it and if I find the idiot who invented grip glue he better be bullet proof, what a moron, I can think of at least 4 products that will stick rubber grips to plastic or metal and CAN be removed without a belt sander and a sand blaster(I may exagerate slightly but it was 105 degrees here today and the humidity felt like 200%)

Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #14

I think that's pretty normal mileage for a KLR, you might get up to 55 under absolutely ideal conditions but usually it right around 50.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #15

Nice bikes for sure.
Here's mine

I'm west of you in the "other" college town.