Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #1

TT250 (maybe Hawk) Pannier Rack half done

Yesterdays project. Half way done with a pannier rack! I used 3/4" EMT and these really cool connectors from a place called Maker Pipe. makerpipe.com.

Going to finish the other side today and run the rear connection between the sides. I am hoping that the left side is a mirror of the right. That will make things easier. All the pipe will be covered with black shrink wrap that Maker Pipe has.

I will be taking measurements of the pipe lengths, list the number and type of connectors I used, and do drawings of the mounts I made.

I used the lower passenger foot peg bolt location, the hole rear hole that the side panel locator was (I had previously cut the side panels shorter for my other panniers), and the turn signal mount bolt location.

I kept the stock turn signal bracket in place because it has a locator tab and mounted a angle aluminum bar to extend the signals back to clear the panniers.

I test mounted my new Nelson-Rigg dry spec panniers and they fit great. They have about 3 times the capacity of my old panniers. More than enough room for 2 bags of groceries in each, if I don't roll the tops down al the way. I'll have the low load like I wanted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIght Rack-1.jpg (74.8 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg Right Rack-2.jpg (83.9 KB, 397 views)

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 03-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #2

Goob, these look great! I have a set of Nelson-Rigg's on my DR, and I love them! One thing I noticed in the picture, though. It looks like there's a shiny strip on your rear tire between where the sidewall is, and the contact surface. Is there something rubbing on your tire to cause that? You can see the sidewall isn't shiny, and obviously your contact area wouldn't be shiny, so that's what drew my attention there. It could just be the way the picture came out, but I wanted to make sure you didn't have anything rubbing or getting ready to break out there. Please keep us posted on how the rest of the build comes out.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #3

Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Goob, these look great! I have a set of Nelson-Rigg's on my DR, and I love them! One thing I noticed in the picture, though. It looks like there's a shiny strip on your rear tire between where the sidewall is, and the contact surface. Is there something rubbing on your tire to cause that? You can see the sidewall isn't shiny, and obviously your contact area wouldn't be shiny, so that's what drew my attention there. It could just be the way the picture came out, but I wanted to make sure you didn't have anything rubbing or getting ready to break out there. Please keep us posted on how the rest of the build comes out.
I noticed that. I think it is because they are new and I don't have the skill to lean over that far! I will check for rubbing though. Thanks for the heads up.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 03-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goob View Post
I noticed that. I think it is because they are new and I don't have the skill to lean over that far! I will check for rubbing though. Thanks for the heads up.
The tire could be rubbing the muffler if you don't have it spaced out far enough. Look for evidence on the muffler.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #5

JerryHawk250 is correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
The tire could be rubbing the muffler if you don't have it spaced out far enough. Look for evidence on the muffler.
I am really glad I went back and re-read some posts. JerryHawk250 is correct! What a surprise.

Lucky for me I haven't ridden but about 75 miles or so. It is smoothed (burnt) off some more, but doesn't appear to be much.

I am going to move the muffler bracket to the outside of the extension that was put on to mount the muffler instead of the inside. This gains me about 1/4" and put as many washers as I can get away with in there too. Not sure how far I can pull it out.

I'll have to make 3 new "extensions" for my panniers so that the rack will clear the new muffler position.

Another idea is using some brute force...hammer an indentation on the muffler so the tire clears. Maybe move the 1/4" and hammer both sides, so I don't have to change anything else. I don't really care about cosmetics, as the muffler is hidden.

Orion RXB 150XL