Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #1

Doh! TT 250 idles high then low not sure how to adjust

Hey fellas so my tt 250 is brand new and it has a low idle so I tried turning up the idle screw clock wise just a little to just under 2000 rpm's and that worked and it idles fine like that . But the next morning on a cold start it idles really high tach is at 2 to 3 thousand rpms.. so I'm like going back and fourth with the idle screw . Here is a pic of the carb.. I know the idle screw what are the other screws for that you can see??
... any help would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180724_200951.jpg (84.0 KB, 251 views)

Old 07-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #2

Make sure the choke lever is in the normal operating position.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:00 AM   #3

Thanks chuck.. I think I was just tripping.. lol.. it runs great.. I just have to break it in. Now it's fine

Old 07-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #4

On a cold engine it will need more fuel to get it going up to operating temps. With an engine surging/searching for an idle like you describe is the signs of a lean condition. With stock jetting, if you have not adjusted the idle mixture screw to 2.5 turns out from fully seated, could be the reason. You will have to pull the cap/plug that is covering the mixture screw to access it. This requires you to pull the carb off to accomplish. The 2.5 turns out from fully seated is just an average setting for most, it will depend on your altitude.

Kirk

Old 07-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #5

thanks kirk!! its weird.. now it idles fine no more surging or anything and has great power like it should being a new bike.. it was just when I first got it.. ya know barley idling so I turn up the idle then to high once im home... hum but good now .. no more having to mess with the idle screw seems to be great now.. not sure why? but im good with it..lol.. bike only has 50 miles now.. I also changed the oil with Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil 10w 40 from Walmart.. gotta love it!!

Old 07-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #6

kirk you see my card in the above pic?? sorry its sideways.. but anyways if I did have to remove the carb where is the cap located on the carb that I have to remove to adjust the fuel mixture screw located at???

Old 07-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #7

The location of the mixture screw is better seen from the other side of the engine where the starter is. It is placed under the carb towards the cylinder head, there should is a little cast protrusion that sticks down about a 1/2" on the carb itself, kind of on the carb's center line. If you take the carb off you will see the cap we are referring to. That's what you have to drill out/pop off to get to the mixture screw. I bet someone has a pic of it on here somewhere...maybe search up mixture screw?

That great it is running better now, must have been a little hiccup in there and sorted itself out since you have more running time with the hawk.

Kirk

Old 07-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #8

Let's see if this works for ya...it shows exactly where the mixture screw is and how to get to it.

https://hawk250.com/hawk-250-tune-st...buretor-video/

Kirk

Old 07-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

Oh cool thanks kirk.. you know my bike is the tt 250 right? But the carb looks the same and I do see on mine at the bottom of the bowl there is a metal cap there with a blue mark on it or right above it.. so just put a screw in a little and back it out to remove the cap and there is my access to the idle mixture screw.. cool !! If I need to adjust it now I know.. bike is idling fine now.. sometimes it is a little low.. but for the most part ok..

Old 08-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #10

I have since replaced the stock exhaust and carb but my TT250 Keima has a solid fuel mix screw that was rounded off. I thought it was a plug but when the drill didn't stop after about 5mm I used an easy-out and the whole thing unscrewed. So my fuel screw is itself the plug with no notch or phillips head. Before I could get the new Mikuni (sort of) dialed in I tapped the center of the fuel mix screw and inserted a 25mm (20mm? I forget the exact length) long 4mm screw with a phillips head, so now it sticks out below the bottom of the carb and can be adjusted.

Just wanted to warn you in case you haven't tried to remove the "plug" yet - on mine there was no plug and if you keep drilling until you reach no resistance you will ruin the screw AND the carb. Just sayin...