Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #1

No Spark

Hello everyone I picked up a Baja 90 for my son several months ago. It had been sitting out neglected for several years but after some basic tuneups and parts we got it running just fine. The only problem is the lights were not working and the Killswitch needed replaced I went ahead and decided to put a entire new wiring harness on it because it came with all new parts and it was actually cheaper to go this route. The harness is installed and everything works just fine the only problem is I am not getting a spark. I watched several videos and had been troubleshooting it for hours and cannot figure it out. Today I cross the blue and white in the red and black wires going to the CDI box thinking maybe the harness was wired backwards and boom I got a spark! The only problem is it sparked once and that it was it I can reset everything and it Will spark once and that is it. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Old 01-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #2

spark

lots of things to check... the first thing is ... check the black & white wire on the cdi...
put test light lead on the positive post... and with the key ON..... test that wire.... if test light lights up.... then something is killing the spark... if it does not light up.... then you have problems like... cdi no good... or the stator pickup... no good... lots of youtube videos on this.. but those are the first things I always check... easy to check.. you do not have to buy any parts to check... you said you got all new stuff with the wiring harness??? so you should have a spare cdi.. and maybe the stator.. the blue & white wire .... and red & black wire.... at the stator is the main stuff you check for OHM... and VOLTS.. make sure no wires got pulled out of the plug harness... if you have no grounding at the CDI,, switch the cdi ,, IF YOU HAVE A SPARE... and check the wire connectors going from the stator.... and the wires to the ignition coil... might be one loose...the black& white wire at the cdi.. is for killing the spark.... when you hit the kill switch.... or the tether ( usually at the rear) ... or the key switch is off... good luck... look back here if you need help... it is hard .. as your there.. and we are here...write down you findings as you go along... it helps to make sure..

Old 01-09-2021, 11:29 PM   #3

Found the fix!

I hope this can help anybody that might having my same issue! I cut the black and white wire going to the CDI box to take all safety switches out of this scenario. I tried two different CDI boxes, I tried a new spark plug and a new spark plug wire and double checked and triple checked all the grounds. I did not have a spare magneto stator, but as I mentioned before I changed the harness it was starting fine. I ended up ordering one and sure enough that was the issue!

The new wire harness I ordered did come with a new one but it was a eight prong and it did not work on mine I needed a six prong. So if you do change this or order a new one be sure to check what you