Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Chipmunk Riding Area has been Logged (western b.c. canada)

This is very important for anyone who rides off road in the Chilliwack River Valley

The Chipmunk Riding area has been logged, that is not a bad think, it happens and we have to learn to live with it and maybe use it to our advantage. Just the same many trails have been "eliminated". Now before anyone goes off on a tangent on how the logging company or the government should step in and rebuild the trails. We should look at ourselves first.

If we as off road users do not step up to the plate, how do we expect to have any support from the government or industry? I know that many of you are very supportive of the efforts that the local clubs and BCORMA, but we need to get the word out to many more, especially the users of the Chipmunk area.

Here is what can be done now

Tell every dirt rider you know that Chipmunk needs to be rebuilt, just get the word out, websites, forums, emails or just plain old word of mouth. This area will need countless volunteer hours just to connect the trails again.

Join the Greater Vancouver MC Club, they have been working on these trails for over 30 years, never asked for a penny from anyone. www.gvmc.ca the contact there for off road would be Wally Klammer or Mark Gray

Buy a BCORMA Trail Pass www.bcorma.ca and check off the Chipmunk Riding area. $30 bucks from each trail pass goes directly to the area you check off on your pass purchase. The more trail passes we sell the more influence we will have, its all about the numbers. Remember BCORMA is funded by you, we do not get 1 penny from any level government.

Once you have done one or more of the above, don't forget to volunteer some time this spring, its EZ and Fun to get outdoors for a day. Any comments or suggestions you may have are always welcome, post away, If you are posting on other off road sites please feel free post that link here and post this link there.

Whats BCORMA doing you ask?
We will be working with the logging company and government for whatever we can get, we are not out in the cold but if we as a motorcycling community don't show what we can do without industry or government help, we will be left behind. I'm sure I don't have to spell that out to anyone. Its January 26 2011 and I personally have put in 7 hours of my own time (still working for free) by the spring time I expect that to be well over 100. My time pales to what Wally Chris Ray and others have put into this area for the past few years, these guys never ask for money and rarely ask for help, but they need everyone's support now and into the future.

I hope I'm not sounding too demanding here, but if we as recreational off road riders done band together and get on the same page, we will loose what we have.

Thanks for the time to read this and please just pass it along

Tom Timmerman
DSBC
President British Columbia Off Road Motorcycle Association
www.bcorma.ca

Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #2

Thanks for copying that article for us, midlifekrisiz. I've never ridden at Chipmunk, although I'd like to some day.

If you purchase a membership to FVDRA (Fraser Valley Dirt Riders Association), part of the fee is forwarded to BCORMA. I don't know what the 2011 fee is yet, but we paid $75.00 last year for a family membership. BTW, that includes unlimited access to the Nickelmine camping and riding area for the year.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer