Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2019, 11:06 PM   #1

Angry Bikes OK on the road but no ATVs allowed?! Double standards in Victoria, Australia.

For those of you are not familiar with the rules of the road in Australia (Victoria in particular), getting registration on a motorbike here is pretty straightforward. Even if you have a low-cost Chinese bike that may not tick all the boxes for a full registration (such as pit bikes, but not pocket bikes/minimotos, they're banned), you can still register it as a "recreational motorcycle" provided it has brakes on both wheels, a working horn, and lights that run off a battery that is being charged by the engine when it's running, and is not too noisy.

That's all well and good if you have a bike, but if you have an ATV you're right out of luck unless you're a farmer or you're using it for work-related purposes. Even out in the bush you can get stung, as the police and park rangers do motorbike patrols of public land looking for unregistered vehicles being used off road.

This is a double standard by my reckoning. I've heard that in the UK, Europe and many American states, ATVs are allowed to be registered for use on the road, so why wouldn't this work in Australia?

http://chng.it/R7ZP8v5xdP

I'm sharing this petition in the hope that it will get the powers that be to do something about this madness if enough people support it.

Petitions aside, does anyone have anything important to add with regard to rules and regulations in other countries, or on the subject of ATV safety that I have missed or gotten wrong?