Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

New Tao Tao Rhino owner, Northern MI.

just bought a Rhino off EBay, put it together with locktite like
Everyone said. Seems to be well worth what I paid. Also noticed a lot of the upgrades suggested are now factory. Mine came with a fuel filter,
Petcock, and LED lights. I did just today take the front sprocket down to 13 teeth and it has a 530 chain, that is noisy, but seems very strong and has not stretched yet. Only got 10 or 15 miles on it so far, I work a lot and it's mainly for
My property maintenance, taking bait out and hauling trash.
Looked for some trailer hitch options. Seen a few. When I get mine made, I'll post pics. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #2

hey welcome. That ATV sounds like a blast. Looking for more torque. is that why you reduced the front sprocket? Not sure what other think but 13 is getting small on the front. Small fronts are harder on chains. ARH can give you the facts about gear reductions.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:31 AM   #3

Thinking bout a Bull too.

From what I found lurking around here was for more torque to go to a 13 front. I have a new front and rear sprocket with 428 chain, 13 front and 40 rear if they wear out ( got click happy on a link I found on here not knowing I had a 530 chain, so had to order the rear sprocket afterwords). Didn't know about the wear on chains. I'll hope for the best. I'm 190# and it took a lot of clutch to get going and reverse on anything other than flat ground was impossible without stalling. Really like the quad, but thinking of getting the 150 Bull also to see if the automatic is better. Don't mind the manual, but don't really like it for slow property putting. Any idea on how the 2 compare. I also put on 2" wheel spacers. It was really squirlly in the soft sand where I live before. Seems a little safer/better now.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #4

Welcome! Looking forward to pics.
Are you a host camper at a State campground?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #5

Looking foward to work pics!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! Looking forward to pics.
Are you a host camper at a State campground?
Hostcamper is an old joke, from where I used to live. I had the only stick built house on a road full of run down trailers. My friends said I had the "hostcamper" site since I had the nicest place and all the toys, boats ATV's etc. like in a state campground. I will be a slow poster, I work a lot and play whenever I can.

Still takes a lot of clutch to move it. Is that the nature of the beast? With the 13 tooth my max speed on gps is in the low 30's. I love to get some more low end, but don't think gearing any further is the answer. Are Carb and air cleaner worth the investment? If so, what do you do with the vent of the crankcase?

Old 11-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #7

Something isnt right. Im 220 and can get up a hill no prob. Doesnt take much clutch to get going. Carb is well worth it because the factory is sealed and not adjustable. The vent you can just leave it open to atmosphere or put a small filter on it. Since ive got mine I have changed the carb filter and exhaust and my machine for a 200 scoots. Have you adjusted the clutch?

Old 11-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #8

I drilled out the air mixture screw and got it fattened up a bit, is a lot throatier off idle, but just doggy at low speed, woods operating. I'll do a more tunable carb and air cleaner and update. Any recommendations on a carb and air cleaner?

Old 11-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #9

[QUOTE=jrs;235112Have you adjusted the clutch?[/QUOTE]

No, I assume it's like a Harley? I'll do some googling or look round here on clutch adjustment. Thanks for the tips

Old 11-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #10

Clutch adjustment

Just ran out to the garage and turned in the screw on the clutch cable lever as far as it could go. dont know if it has an under cover clutch adjustment, but seems to have gained some grab just in the garage. I'll get it out this weekend and give a a little better field test. Will get some pics this weekend too.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostcamper View Post
I drilled out the air mixture screw and got it fattened up a bit, is a lot throatier off idle, but just doggy at low speed, woods operating. I'll do a more tunable carb and air cleaner and update. Any recommendations on a carb and air cleaner?
For a carb I went with the mikun knock off that everyone suggests I believe it is a VM26. I also put a UNI foam dual stage pod filter. I just noticed that for a front sproket you said you were switching or already switched to a 13T. Check your machine because im pretty sure mine came with a 12T upfront so if you were looking for more torque you would want an 11T. The only place I know that sells them is online called Why Go Stock. They also make an upgrade aluminum rear sprocket as well. Look for Darth Racer on hear he installed the complete set I believe.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #12

Pretty sure mine came with a front 15 tooth. I'll check tonight. I'd feel pretty dumb if I went the wrong direction

Old 11-05-2016, 04:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostcamper View Post
Pretty sure mine came with a front 15 tooth. I'll check tonight. I'd feel pretty dumb if I went the wrong direction
If you had to cut the factory chain down the you must be right. Strange how parts can change from year to year.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #14

Doh!

Nope, I'm dumb. It was a stock 12. I thought I read in here they were 15 and never bothered counting. really surprises me that I only got 32 mph with the 13 then. What have you guys seen for a top Speed? Didn't want a speed demon anyways, but curious since they're advertised "up to" 55mph. Wife's gone all day at a craft show, so thinking after morning hunt I'll mess around with it. I got a 428 chain and sprocket set too, I know the front one is a 13 in that set, thinking maybe that set has more teeth on the rear and that's where my gear reduction was supposed to come from. What is the stock tooth count supposed to be on the rear?

Last edited by Hostcamper; 11-05-2016 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Old 11-05-2016, 06:00 AM   #15

13 front 40 rear

Ok, so what I figured out in my sporadic reading and ordering, is the front is 12, the rear is 32. That's why I thought I read 13 for the front to reduce gear, because I was supposed to go to 40 in the rear. I do have all the gears and chain to do that, and I will today and update. And maybe even some pics finally.