Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #1

Gio 125cc Dirtbike Suspension

Hello,
How do you adjust the suspension? I need to make it stiffer. I didn't really take a good look but do you just turn the bottom of the shock? I should also confirm I have it in the right way and not upside down, what is the proper way? I assembled it myself and the picture was bad in the manual. Just by looking I assume there is no adjusting the front?

Thanks

Kevin

Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #2

Welcome!

If it's the stock shock, there should be two lock nuts that hold the spring in place. Just back off the outer nut and then crank down the nut against the spring until it meets your needs. Then tighten the second nut against the first to jam it in place.

Don't worry about the shock being upside down; be more concerned about clearance for the body of the shock.

You can increase the tension in the front forks (if conventional, not USD) by cutting PVC spacers and placing one on each spring inside the fork tube (I'd start with no more than 1/2" long). That would require the top cap to be removed to expose the internal spring. Before going that route, it's important to confirm that the shocks have equal amounts of oil; you could drain them both and measure the amounts. Use a decent quality oil, like PJ1 15W.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try later on today.

Kevin

Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #4

Sure would be nice if the bike came with an adjustment tool. I tried various hand tools but of course it just started to damage the metal. Any idea where to get a proper tool to adjust it? For a heavier rider should it be all the way down (spring as long as possible) or the other way. I'm assuming it should be the other way (spring compressed more). I'm new so sorry about not knowing the basics of suspension. My motorcycle came setup for my weight so I haven't had to play with it. The 125 is new territory for me!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #5

Don't be sorry; we all started somewhere.

I found some kind of bizarre tool at a surplus place that works, but there is actually a shock nut-specific wrench that you can buy. It's handy to have.

Here's one: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ck-Wrench.aspx

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #6

A bicycle shop should be able to come up with a crank wrench, for about $3, that should do the job.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #7

i bought one of these spanner or whatever they are call. but honestly I found it easier to use a flat punch and a hammper. but now these nuts on the gio are aluminum so you may want to try a round hard-wood stock like oak or something. if you are in the edmonton area you can try my spanner. email is simon32@shaw.ca
just re-read the original post again. Weldangrind is correct, his description will "preload" your springs. preload takes out the initial bounce; however if you are talking about the actual softness of the spring due to your weight, the only true way is to guy new springs thats rated for your weight. But if your bike is anything like my son's, all you can do is what Weldangrind suggested.
if you are going to order springs I think BBR carries them for pitbikes.
another thing that you can try is to use heavier weight fork oil, that will slow down the "rebound" which gives you a stiffer feeling.