Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #1

The Genius of Shark Bite

I had an excellent plumbing experience, and I hope you benefit from it.

I got tired of contorting myself into the crawl space every time I need to shut the main water supply off in the house. As well, the original main valve dates back to the early eighties, and it's a stem valve. Stem valves are awful compared to ball valves, and mine tend to dribble each time I use it. It eventually dries up, but I'd really rather leave it alone. I could replace it with a ball valve, but I'd have to rely upon the City main valve that's outside, and they're not great either. My municipality is in the process of replacing all of the meters and valves, but that will take time.

I located the main pipe in the laundry area, and that's the second stop, right after the front garden hose valve. I hesitate to solder a new valve in the laundry area, because there's always the risk of fire due to the proximity of the floor joists.

Enter Shark Bite. Since I already had a 1/2" ball valve with female NPT ends, I just bought Shark Bite fittings, wrapped them with teflon tape and screwed 'em into the valve. The instructions that came with the fittings say that the pipe should be clean and free from burrs, and it should insert 1" into the fitting. I tested that with a scrap piece of 1/2" copper pipe, and I found that the actual insertion depth was 7/8".

I then measured the overall length of the valve and Shark Bite fitting assembly, transferred that to the pipe I intended to cut, and then subtracted 7/8" from each end. A tubing cutter followed by a little sanding of the pipe prepared the surface.

Here's the pipe before surgery:

Here's the cut:

Here's the fun part. You simply slide the pipe into the fitting until it stops, and then slide the other end onto the remaining pipe until it stops. That's it. Voila:

Let's say the valve isn't in the ideal position, because the handle hits something. No problem, just rotate it:

If you need to remove it for any reason, just use the removal tool. Sorry about the fuzzy photo. It simply snaps over the pipe, and you then press it into the fitting and pull the pipe out. The beauty of this design is that a Shark Bite will accept copper, plastic, whatever. I bought the fittings and adapters at Home Depot. Removal tool:

The only caveat is that you must be able to pull the two pipes apart buy about 2" to then insert them into the fittings and push them in. I had a small drip at both ends where I hadn't fully tightened the fittings into the valve, but I was actually able to tighten them after installation.

Try it. You'll be happy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #2

Nice, Weld. We have similar fittings were I work for air connects. The air lines are pushed into the fittings and get locked in. The air pressure pushes them out a bit. We run 100 psi and the hoses don't pop out. To remove the line, the fitting is pushed in a bit with a flat tip srew driver and the hose is pulled. Are the Shark Bites similar?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #3

Very similar. We use those fittings at work as well (although at lower pressures), and I love 'em. The Shark Bite fittings should be dismantled with the appropriate tool.

One day I might set up an air network in my garage using the fittings you're talking about.

I edited the initial post to include the removal tool.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #4

Re: The Genius of Shark Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I had an excellent plumbing experience, and I hope you benefit from it.
I got tired of contorting myself into the crawl space every time I need to shut the main water supply off in the house.
Try it. You'll be happy.
You know, this exact same thing is the one "good" thing that came from my house flooding.
In the South, we don't even have crawl space cut-offs. You have to go to the meter to cut the water... :P
While the drywall and subfloor was out, I asked the contractor to place a cut-off valve in the coat closet (closest area to the pipe entry)...
Yippee.
I like those Shark Bites, will come in handy at some point.
Thanks
Bill R

Old 09-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #5

I used them on my water line to the house after the polybutlylene stuff gave up.

So easy a caveman could do it. :wink:

Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #6

I just redid our complete water system in my house using pex pipe and fittings. Took less than 2 days with no soldering. Love the pex pipe it's even guaranteed if it freezes and splits. I tried to freeze some last year in minus 30c all it did was bulge a little. With over 130 joins not one leaked with 80lbs water pressure Every line has a ball shut off valve 4 water manifolds. Gonna use it again when we renovate the garage with an apartment this summer.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #7

You can even use Shark Bite to join a copper pipe to a pex pipe. There's a video on the main page: http://www.sharkbite.com/

Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #8

I'm glad you posted this Weld, thanks. I'm going to be doing some plumbing for a winter project and this gives me more options.

I hate sweating pipes........

Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #9

I never enjoyed plumbing, but the sharkbites made it so easy.