Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #1

Who has dirt bikes?

I got myself into a pickle. I promised my 9 yr old son that if he saved half the money, I would pay the other half to get him a bike....I figured that would never happen, but the little stinker begged me to teach him how to mow the lawn and then solicited everyone he knew for lawn mowing jobs... instead of it taking 3 years, because I figured a buck would burn a hole in his pocket, it took a summer and a half...

Now, I have some money socked away to just cover he and I getting bikes to ride aaaand, now nobody has one. So the first question is does anyone have bikes in stock, and does anyone have an idea what size would work for a kid that is growing into a teen in a year or so?

Last edited by JakeD; 06-14-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeD View Post
I got myself into a pickle. I promised my 9 yr old son that if he saved half the money, I would pay the other half to get him a bike....I figured that would never happen, but the little stinker begged me to teach him how to mow the lawn and then solicited everyone he knew for lawn mowing jobs... instead of it taking 3 years, because I figured a buck would burn a hole in his pocket, it took a summer and a half...

Now, I have some money socket away to just cover he and I getting bikes to ride aaaand, now nobody has one. So the first question is does anyone have bikes in stock, and does anyone have an idea what size would work for a kid that is growing into a teen in a year or so?

Haha! Good on him! He reminds of me of me at that age, if I wanted something, I busted my butt to get it. Only God knows how many driveways I shoveled in the winter, and lawns I cut in the summer.

1st you're going to need to figure out the right size. I have no idea how these Chinese bikes are sized. I just remember when I was in middle school, we generally road 80s-120s in dirt bikes. These were all Japanese bikes, 2 strokes and around 40 years ago. Sorry, I'm no help here...

Without knowing the actual frame size, but going by power output and my experience from 40 years ago, I would think a 120 would be the minimum sized bike these days. It's because it seems most bikes are now 4 strokes.

I did recently order a 169cc (Tao Bull 200) ATV for my soon to be 10yo son. If you'd like to know how I went about determining the size, I can go into more detail.

As for finding a bike, good luck with that. I ended up having a conversation with my kid and we did a pre-order. We order on 5/6, being told they would ship by the end of May.. As of Friday, they said they still didn't have stock. My kid's ok with it since he's getting the ATV he wants and he knows it's ordered. Me.. that's another story... I feel horrible that he's had to wait this long and still not know when it might actually arrive.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

You could try Kronikracing if you want smaller size they specialize in pit bikes and have a good idea when containers are coming in if they don't have current stock. Powersportsmax shows dirtbikes in stock. Gokartsusa shows a couple in stock and bunch inbound in the next few days on their current inventory list linked at the top of the home page. Personally I would go with something with 17/14 size wheels minimum if you want to ride trails.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. If they had stock of everything it would sure make life easier.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
You could try Kronikracing if you want smaller size they specialize in pit bikes and have a good idea when containers are coming in if they don't have current stock. Powersportsmax shows dirtbikes in stock. Gokartsusa shows a couple in stock and bunch inbound in the next few days on their current inventory list linked at the top of the home page. Personally I would go with something with 17/14 size wheels minimum if you want to ride trails.
I would definitely give Pete a call at https://www.kronikracing.com/Pit-Bikes.html I spoke with him a few weeks ago, and I recall him saying he was getting some new bikes in from Apollo 'in a couple weeks' (that is what the dealer rep at Apollo told him). He is a good guy to deal with as far as Chinese bikes go.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #6

It's crazy how many places I have called and no answer... Kronik had a full Voicemail so no go there... Q9 answered and we talked for a while. They seemed pretty knowledgeable. There are a lot of things coming in the next few weeks. ( fingers crossed.) Not sure how you run a business with nobody taking calls... that seems weird, regardless of covid... I have been stuck at home for months with phones forwarded... Man, maybe I can trade some bikes for some business consulting.

Has anyone worked one doing a group buy, factory direct on a model?

Old 06-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

I'd see how he fits on an xr100, and if he does, get one of them, unless you/he like or are good at tinkering.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #8

I have owned 4 different VW Vehicles... I am used to wrenching.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
It's crazy how many places I have called and no answer... Kronik had a full Voicemail so no go there... Q9 answered and we talked for a while. They seemed pretty knowledgeable. There are a lot of things coming in the next few weeks. ( fingers crossed.) Not sure how you run a business with nobody taking calls... that seems weird, regardless of covid... I have been stuck at home for months with phones forwarded... Man, maybe I can trade some bikes for some business consulting.

Q9 has been telling in the next couple weeks since the 1st week of May.

If you haven't already, try calling wholesaleatv.com. I don't know if their online inventory is accurate, but I know when I spoke by phone with them back in late April, the girl there was super helpful.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #10

Quote:

They are all getting slammed ever since the Gov started giving away free money and people have time off and kids at home. I can't even imagine the amount of warranty calls and emails these companies are getting right now after clearing every out every unit available in the US. On top of the people still trying to buy something.

Kronik seems pretty active on Facebook and Instagram. Maybe try messaging through there. I have also heard the beginning and end of the day is the best time to call.

Good luck. I'm thankful to have that part of the journey behind me. Now just waiting for my plate/reg to come in the mail.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:08 AM   #11

Yeah, in that case, like I said, get him on an XR100 and see how it fits him. They're hard to kill, they'll always be available, and if you buy it at a good price, you can probably sell it for the same price if it's in good shape when he's done with it.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
This is so heart-warming to hear. Great job dad.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350