Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2018, 06:50 AM   #1

Oil Pan Heater

Anyone use an oil pan heater to help with cold starts or any opinions on whether you think it would be effective for the Rhino? I like the idea of the magnetic ones vs. adhesive.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

I doubt that there's a steel surface for the magnet to stick to, but I like the idea.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #3

As long as it is meant to be used on a small atv I think it should be ok. Adhesive sounds more effective but not sure how long it will stay stuck on over time.. Epoxy?

If its for a vehicle there would be concerns of heat and a heavy draw on the battery.... great to have the oil warmed... don't do no good if you don't have enough amps left to crank.

I wish I could get a kick or pull start on my Rhino as a backup.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

I presumed that Uphill was referring to a 120 volt magnetic heater; perhaps not. In any case, I like the epoxy idea. It would be reasonable to epoxy a small piece of plate or sheet metal to the bottom of the motor, that the magnet could attach to.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

I didn't think of 120v

All this stuff is new to me... some pictures or links please. I'm heater curious.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #6

Hey Darth.. sorry a little late on the response here. It looks like pretty much agreed consensus that the adhesives would work from what I've seen. This one is advertised specifically for ATV/UTV: https://www.autocoolingsolutions.com...e-Block-Heater
...then if you look below, they have the magnetic ones. The small one looks like it would be fine size wise, but what I don't know (still being a Rhino rookie), is whether the pan is 100% non-ferrous. If so, anything magnetic would presumably not stick. I just like the idea of having a completely removable / clean product, and one that you could use for other small engines. I have no doubt the adhesive will do the trick though. You can see plenty of youtube reviews where they verify the temp. increase. None specifically on quads but verify the effectiveness none the less.

As far as the adhesive, you'll see the specs--high temp 3M. I also read someone said to run a bead of high temp silicone around the edge to reinforce it... don't know if this is absolutely necessary. You can see why magnetic would be nicer.

So, 100% non-ferrous metal? I'm guessing FLASHLIGHTBOY knows. Can you speak to this?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphill View Post
This one is advertised specifically for ATV/UTV: https://www.autocoolingsolutions.com...e-Block-Heater
I was just about to link this heater, Lat's 24050. Small transmission pan heating element. I used a similar one on a generator once. The 3M adhesive sticks rather well once you clean the surface VERY well, and with isopropyl alcohol right before you apply it. Not sure how good it will last in a bumpy dusty environment under an ATV, but it held well even when hot.

My one suggestion for these, if you decide to use one, is to use a thermostatic outlet controller. That little pad gets pretty hot pretty quickly. Plug it in with the on temp around maybe 35, and off at say 45. Either that or a timer style outlet to only run it at certain times or for a certain length of time.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

Just a thought, we're looking to warm the oil, right? Amazon sells dip stick heaters along with block heaters. Checking on the site revels different lengths.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 01-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #9

Are you having trouble starting it during cold weather? A larger pilot jet can make a huge difference without the hassle of plugging it in.

My ATA250D starts better than my Rhino when very cold and the only difference is a larger pilot jet in the ATA250.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:56 PM   #10

Interesting stuff I didn't know they made for ATV's

The silicone around the adhesive is to keep the water and dirt out from getting in over time and loosening.... some of those 3M double sided tapes stick like crazy.

I would go a dipstick heater route if you could find one that fits... just take it off in the warmer months.

I would want to put a quick connector somewhere in the line so all that slack in the cord don't end up under the wheels or in the chain.

I have my battery wired up with one to make charging plug and play without fiddling with the seat.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #11

Good ideas. I like the dipstick heater.. hadn't thought of that.

@mudflap Yeah, it just flat won't start when we get below freezing. I have it in a garage but not insulated. I still don't have more that 10-12 hours on break in though, so I know that's a factor. But I definitely don't like the carb. As basically everyone says, waaaay to lean. Instead of re-jetting, I want to get a better carb. I have a guy who is gonna help me upgrade that and the sprocket / chain mod that you did on your Rhino. I bookmarked the link you posted-thanks! I have to keep all mods leaning toward the goal of least tinkering required post-mod b/c of my dexterity problem. I need help with most wrenching. That said, if anyone has a link to the best carb upgrade, I'd appreciate it.