Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #1

Huangsong 200gy Rear Shock install

I am still working through assembly with no manual. I have a dangling metal piece next to rear tire I assume must be hooked up to shock. The shock is connected to a metal piece that has 4 holes in it. One of the holes has a bolt attached to the engine side of the bike. The middle hole has a bolt that the shock is attached to. And there are two holes (I believe) open.

How in the world do I attach the shock, anybody have pictures?

thanks so much :oops:

Old 06-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #2

It sounds like you're describing a shock link. When monoshock suspensions were first developed, most manufacturers mounted the shock directly to the swingarm. As design improved, a link-style suspension was used, and it mounts to the swingarm and frame via a dogbone-shaped link under the swingarm. Such a link allows you to alter ride height by changing the link length.

I think that Husaberg has gone back to the direct swingarm mount. Either design can work just fine.

Can you post a pic of the items you're struggling with? We need to be certain that you're assembling a link-style system before we can guide you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

You can also check out www.roketa.com, click on the dirt bike and there will be a link for the assembly manual. It isn't great but it is better than nothing. Hope this helps. There's also a link for the owners manual and circuit diagram.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

photo of shock

Hopefully you can see this ok, this is my first time trying photobucket. There is a dog bone type metal piece dangling

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/...1/110_1172.jpg

thanks[img][/img]

Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

That is a lowering link. Read this thread for general info about how it works: http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9602&star t=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lowering]Lowering Link[/url]

It looks to me like the dogbone attaches to the bottom of the triangle, but I can't be sure. I have a bike that is similar, so I'll take a look and photograph it if it is helpful.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #6

I believe that the dog bone part goes where you have the shock mounted and the shock drops down to the lower holes in that bracket. I may be wrong though.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #7

That does make sense.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #8

This pic may help. I stole it from the lowering link thread. See I may be wrong.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #9

How to install rear shock

The picture helped a lot, thanks!

If I understand correctly, do I simply loosen the bolts on the engine and shock and move the triangle piece up a little and insert the screw from the dogbone in it like your picture? Is it that easy, or is there a lot of tension or something, any tricks? Just so far, nothing has been that simple and easy, there always seems to be a catch.

thanks

Old 06-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #10

rear shock question

Just checking again. Before I started, just wanted to check, is it is easy to do as your picture suggests? Just loosen bolts, move up triangle piece and put dog bone in open hole in triangle piece and then put bolt in and tighten.

Seems like there might be a lot of tension.

thanks
larry
:?:

Old 06-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #11

Larry, I think there'd be quite a bit of tension if the bike is on the ground. The last time I did maintenance on my suspension link, I supported the frame on a stand. You could probably fashion a stand out of 2x4 lumber, or even use a milk crate. Be very careful, and strap the frame to whatever you use.

Harbor Freight has a cheap stand that does the trick. Check it out: Motorcycle Stand. It's on sale for $29.99 right now, but you can apply a 20% discount to that. Discount coupons are available in most major automotive magazines, or you could likely find one to print on the HF site.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #12

As usual, Weldangrind is correct. You need to get the weight off the rear wheel before you can do any work on the rear suspension.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #13

Nothing has to be loosened. Just pick the frame up and align the link to the bolt holes. And for good suspension action, take every pivot bushing apart and grease the hell out them or they will bind.