Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

CB125 Lifan 200 conversion question...

So I'm converting my wife's 1974 CB125 to Lifan 200 power. So far it's been gravy, got the engine installed, and wired up, and even running. But I need to know if there's a different right side engine cover that I could use. One, because the little oil sight glass is slightly in the way of the exhaust, and two, because I need a mechanical tach drive. I had considered trying to take my 125 side cover and see if it will fit, but the clutch lever seems a lot shorter, and I'm concerned that would make the clutch harder to pull. Has anyone ever tried that? I did goolge around and found that some version of this motor have the tach drive, but I never saw a pic and can't seem to find one. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

great project. We have an antique Honda expert here, Sprint66 (Steve). He helped me with the restoration of my 1972 CB175.

Can you use the Honda side cover with the Lifan clutch actuation lever?

Another thought would be the side cover from a Honda NX125. That may work. You may want to look at pictures and see if it's a match.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #3

The 125 lever is on the rear of the cover instead of the top. It looks to actuate the same place, just in a different position. And I don't know for sure the bolts will even line up. I did just find a Lifan 150 side cover that does have the tach drive, but still has the sight glass. I can go with this and tweak my exhaust a little maybe, but I'm worried the stock 125 exhaust may be too restrictive as is. I've had some ideas for the bike,but they all have to go through the wife. She's pretty particular about what she wants!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #4

My lifan with a pushrod engine had a mechanical tach so there is 200cc clutch covers out there with tach drives.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #5

Welcome! I would focus on a new exhaust; maybe a scrambler style. That would be cool.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Welcome; we are glad you joined us. This sounds like a fun project!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #7

The scrambler exhaust would be sweet, but I'm not that good of a welder. Lol. Why, oh, why did they have to put that stupid sight glass in the side cover?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #8

I think you sure give the original cover a try. Maybe the shorter lever will not add much resistence. I am thinking that it may also be easier to modify that lever than an exhaust or something else.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

You might pick up a couple of tips from Junglebiker; check out this thread: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...hlight=#160111

Try sending him a PM and see if he responds.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #10

Sooo, I haven't posted anything in forever on my project. Never was good at keeping logs. But it's almost done. Still gotta install the side cover with tach drive, but that's basically it. My wife was very particular about everything I did on the bike, so it's really her design. Here's a little list of everything I did:
Lifan 200 conversion, which converted everything to 12V, and almost completely rewiring the bike. It has a SYCLbatts.com 4 cell lithium battery, all new switches for electric start and turn signals. Clubman bars and bar end mirrors, since she liked the girl with the dragon tattoo bike so much. She also like the satin finish I used on my bike (CM400 in the background of the following pic) but wanted a stock appearing red, so I went with Hot Rod Flatz Pro Street Red. Everything else was restored, cleaned repainted or replaced. I think it turned out ok, and it is a fun little ride!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #11

The bike looks great! I love those old classic Honda's, cut my teeth on them many years ago!

(Though I gotta say, mine didn't look anywhere near that good!) :wink:

Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #12

I like that alot. My CB100 is far from that condition. Still undecided on what to do with it.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

Brilliant execution! Very nice job. The clubmans are a nice touch.

Was the front end originally equipped with a disc brake? Are those decals on the side of the tank? Was the 200 swap a true bolt-in?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #14

I'm in love. Lovely little bike. :P

Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #15

Thanks for the praise. I've not been doing motorcycles very long, this is is my first build of this extent, so it's nice to hear! Those are vinyls on the tank. Not long after that picture was taken, they bubbled up on me, and I'm waiting on replacements to redo them. It is an original disc brake front. Cable operated, and honestly I wish it had the drum. I think it would stop better. I may look into a CB200 front end at some point, but the wifey is comfortable with how it stops.