Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

Forks on the Stallion & Brozz

I am interested in possibly upgrading the forks on our Hawks to what appear to be sturdier forks that are present on the Stallion and newer Brozz. If the fork style on the Hawk is "Inverted" (I can never keep it straight) then these are "Standard", with the smaller diameter part of the fork on the wheel side rather than the tree side. On my first run I noticed some fork flex when braking...not enough to be alarming but I didn't like it. I am thinking about a nice big fork brace where the wire keeps are mounted (might be cheaper) but thicker forks might be a good upgrade as well.

Has anyone tried this or looked into possible upgrading using parts from other Chinese bikes?

Old 02-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyschmitz View Post
I am interested in possibly upgrading the forks on our Hawks to what appear to be sturdier forks that are present on the Stallion and newer Brozz. If the fork style on the Hawk is "Inverted" (I can never keep it straight) then these are "Standard", with the smaller diameter part of the fork on the wheel side rather than the tree side. On my first run I noticed some fork flex when braking...not enough to be alarming but I didn't like it. I am thinking about a nice big fork brace where the wire keeps are mounted (might be cheaper) but thicker forks might be a good upgrade as well.

Has anyone tried this or looked into possible upgrading using parts from other Chinese bikes?
Fork flex which way? A good fork brace would help a lot.......ARH

Old 02-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Fork flex which way? A good fork brace would help a lot.......ARH
they twist around the axis formed by the fork stem. I understand it is because you have a decent disc brake on some long forks and a fork brace will help a lot to minimize this as well as be a helpful offroad. It may be the quicker and easier way to provide support. The bit of searching I have done so far hasn't revealed much. I feel like I would have to order spares from a dealer and that could be a signficant amount, vs. some flat bar steel bent into a U and drilled to accept the mount points on the forks.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Is your Hawk new? First thing I'd do is change the fork fluid, if you haven't already. This makes a world of difference on their action.

You have "regular" forks on the Hawk, that have the thicker sliders on the wheel end. USD (Just think Up Side Down) forks have the thick tube (slider) inside the trees and the thinner tubes down at the wheel. You'd have to change your trees to run the USD forks.
The regular forks with good (and proper amount of) fluid work just as well, in my experience.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Is your Hawk new? First thing I'd do is change the fork fluid, if you haven't already. This makes a world of difference on their action.

You have "regular" forks on the Hawk, that have the thicker sliders on the wheel end. USD (Just think Up Side Down) forks have the thick tube (slider) inside the trees and the thinner tubes down at the wheel. You'd have to change your trees to run the USD forks.
The regular forks with good (and proper amount of) fluid work just as well, in my experience.
the only thing I would add is the forks on the hawk are weak all the way around in harder use. I know I have put my front end into situations already where the forks completely twisted. I had to loosen the triples and realign them.

However, a good fork brace will do more than simply switching to USD, unless the USD are particularly more stout than stock.

the question I have not researched is what the dimensions of the USD fork are with regard to tube diameter, exterior and interior.

on a side note...anyone know of a source for fork braces? you guys are making me spend money again!

Old 02-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyschmitz View Post
they twist around the axis formed by the fork stem. I understand it is because you have a decent disc brake on some long forks and a fork brace will help a lot to minimize this as well as be a helpful offroad. It may be the quicker and easier way to provide support. The bit of searching I have done so far hasn't revealed much. I feel like I would have to order spares from a dealer and that could be a signficant amount, vs. some flat bar steel bent into a U and drilled to accept the mount points on the forks.
Yes, we used to use 1/8th inch steel plate or 3/16ths aluminum plate for this. We used to make the pattern out of heavy butcher paper by placing a half inch thick piece of carpeting on top of the tire, then lay the paper over it, and mark where the brace bolts on to the right and left fork will go. Leave plenty of meat around and below the mounting bolts. When you are satisfied, cut pattern out with scissors, place pattern on stock. We used to use Prussian Blue for lay out, but now-a-days I use a ROUND POINT Sharpie for this. Then just cut it out, hang it back over the carpet, bend it a little so as to lie flat where it bolts on, mark the holes, drill 'em, put fender washers on the inside, and bolt 'em on.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Yes, we used to use 1/8th inch steel plate or 3/16ths aluminum plate for this. We used to make the pattern out of heavy butcher paper by placing a half inch thick piece of carpeting on top of the tire, then lay the paper over it, and mark where the brace bolts on to the right and left fork will go. Leave plenty of meat around and below the mounting bolts. When you are satisfied, cut pattern out with scissors, place pattern on stock. We used to use Prussian Blue for lay out, but now-a-days I use a ROUND POINT Sharpie for this. Then just cut it out, hang it back over the carpet, bend it a little so as to lie flat where it bolts on, mark the holes, drill 'em, put fender washers on the inside, and bolt 'em on.
Pretty much my plan, wasn't sure how thick to go on the stock.

Also, has anyone seen the Brozz "Iron Head Protector" model before?? I WANT THAT HEADLIGHT RACK!

Old 02-14-2017, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
the only thing I would add is the forks on the hawk are weak all the way around in harder use. I know I have put my front end into situations already where the forks completely twisted. I had to loosen the triples and realign them.

However, a good fork brace will do more than simply switching to USD, unless the USD are particularly more stout than stock.

the question I have not researched is what the dimensions of the USD fork are with regard to tube diameter, exterior and interior.

on a side note...anyone know of a source for fork braces? you guys are making me spend money again!
They used to sell fork braces back when I was young and racing stripped Yamaha Enduros. They worked well but looked weird.

That's the main reason for USD forks, it's so the beefier, fatter part of the fork is held in the trees, which makes them far more rigid and supposedly flex far less. Some say the dampening works better but I don't ride hard enough anymore to tell the difference.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350