Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #1

TBR7 rear shock

So i'm trying to get a bit of feedback on the suggested KEOGHS rear shock.
i went through a few posts and wanted an honest feedback.

I saw the picture of Dan"s bike and thought a bit tall for me 325mm?( he's tall @6ft 4
Saw a picture of 'one legged rider's ' bike and thought too low for me 290mm?

I'm thinking of goldilocks here and go in the middle

I did a quick shock measurement on the TBR and it seems to be 300mm i seem to recall the stock hawk is 320mm.

So i would like my bike a little taller at the back than stock so thinking 310mm.

Do you guys still have a good feeling about the shocks and spring rates ? or do you feel you would do it a different way if you had to do it again?

You thoughts and experience are much appreciated.

Also can you put a link to anything that might work better?

Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

I like mine quite a bit. The rebound adjustment does work, although it only has about 3 or 4 useable positions to work with. Compression damping is quite good, not too hard or soft for my big butt. The linear spring rate makes for predictable handling, and the preload adjustment is a nice feature that the Hawks never got.

Performance wise, it is much better. I can fly over bumps now that would bottom out my factory Hawk shock

10mm length difference equates to a roughly 1 inch change in height, or a bit more than.

Overall I am quite happy with mine for what it is. Short of spending $300 for a custom YSS rear shock, which would be better, this was the best route for me. I would do it again if I bought another bike.

Did you measure the shock with the rear at full droop (rear wheel off the ground), or with it removed from the bike?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I like mine quite a bit. The rebound adjustment does work, although it only has about 3 or 4 useable positions to work with. Compression damping is quite good, not too hard or soft for my big butt. The linear spring rate makes for predictable handling, and the preload adjustment is a nice feature that the Hawks never got.

Performance wise, it is much better. I can fly over bumps now that would bottom out my factory Hawk shock

10mm length difference equates to a roughly 1 inch change in height, or a bit more than.

Overall I am quite happy with mine for what it is. Short of spending $300 for a custom YSS rear shock, which would be better, this was the best route for me. I would do it again if I bought another bike.

Also an inch increase in height would be about perfect for me with a 32/33 inseam.

Did you measure the shock with the rear at full droop (rear wheel off the ground), or with it removed from the bike?
Dan the bike is on a jack so full droop, i just removed the r/h side cover and used a tape measure and trying to avoid the error of parallax and i would say 90% sure its 300mm but i won't know for sure until it's on the bench it's definitely not 320mm . I did not want to remove it until i have a new shock on hand . While its off i will upgrade the rear swing arm bushings and fit a grease zerk.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #4

Also Dan an inch height increase would be about perfect for me as i have a 32/33 inseam.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #5

Somehow, i tried to update the post, i updated your post about the inseam? I'm pretty sure your inseam is at least 36.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
Somehow, i tried to update the post, i updated your post about the inseam? I'm pretty sure your inseam is at least 36.
lol, you just typed in the area with my text within the quote boxes.

My inseam is somewhere between 34 and 35. I can flat foot a Hawk with the suspension fully extended.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #7

I'm 6'2" and have a 34" inseam, and can flatfoot the bike with my knees slightly bent. The reason I went with the 290mm which dropped it 3" is because I'm almost 50yrs old and not as limber as I used to be. Even with it dropped I still have a little trouble getting my leg over it.

As far as the quality of the shock I'm definitely impressed. I think I'm 4 clicks from firm on the damping, 3 clicks might be better. And I still haven't added any preload to it, but since I've been making myself sit further forward on the seat for comfort, bottoming out hasn't been an issue unless I really go airborne. I would definitely purchase this shock again.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #8

Also because of the angles my chain is alot easier to adjust than Dan's.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
I'm 6'2" and have a 34" inseam, and can flatfoot the bike with my knees slightly bent. The reason I went with the 290mm which dropped it 3" is because I'm almost 50yrs old and not as limber as I used to be. Even with it dropped I still have a little trouble getting my leg over it.

As far as the quality of the shock I'm definitely impressed. I think I'm 4 clicks from firm on the damping, 3 clicks might be better. And I still haven't added any preload to it, but since I've been making myself sit further forward on the seat for comfort, bottoming out hasn't been an issue unless I really go airborne. I would definitely purchase this shock again.
Thanks guys for the feedback . I'll order the shock today and post pictures before and after . Also i'll try and get a short video of what a spring on a stick acts like

i hope this does not end up as a double post as it seems the first time i wrote it it has gone to cyberspace

Old 06-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Also because of the angles my chain is alot easier to adjust than Dan's.
I have zero issues adjusting my chain. It's not any different than a standard Hawk on a stand. I just favor it being a tiny bit more slack now. Works out almost perfectly.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I have zero issues adjusting my chain. It's not any different than a standard Hawk on a stand. I just favor it being a tiny bit more slack now. Works out almost perfectly.
I'm quite sure you don't. Just with my lower rear end and less travel my rear sprocket isn't far from it's furthest point from the front sprocket at full droop or with my weight on it. Polaris has figured this out. My Scrambler's front sprocket is actually on the swingarm pivot so the chain maintains the same slack throughout the suspension travel.