Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #1

Gio X31 250cc repaint thread (Dukes style)

Before:

After pressure wash to remove someones old paint:

Partly torn down and taped off and sanded:

After paint:

Assembled:

Finished product with new decals:

Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #2

That is one of the most IMPRESSIVE before/during/after transformations I've seen.

Nice work.

You may consideing removing the exhaust and painting it with flat black Rustoleum BBQ paint. Nice result and very easy and inexpensive.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

Wow! 8O That is a drastic improvement!
I love the new color, is it a copper metallic?
Excellent job! 8)

Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #4

yes for sure wasnt till i was in the assemble stage I realized i shoulda did the muffler.... I think I might do it some color and use either caliper or engine paint.

As for the color its a orig corvette GM color called Atomic Orange,, I had the paint left over from a Z24 I painted.. so it was almost a free paint job.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #5

Holy cow that's a special color.

I don't know if you know the history of Atomic Orange and the Corvette. It was a very rare and valuable color only one year around 1994 IIRC. It was difficult to apply and they had a lot of problems with it and the color was dropped off the pallate after only a few hundred cars.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #6

I does look more orange than copper, I think I had my laptop screen tilted back too far, made it look darker than it was. Love the color though, I've sprayed a lot of metallics and some of them can be challenging (especially silver!). That's the best looking GIO I've ever seen!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #7

That's remarkable! Great job.

Does a magnet stick to your header pipe? I've seen two bikes like yours now with stainless headers, so they can be polished rather than painted. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #8

FastDoc- great knowledge thanks,,,but it did make a return from 2007-2009. I used a single stage urethane so its less labor intensive then youd think,,, tones of pearl in it tho.

Weldangrind- mmm u mean the exhaust pipe like?? no mine is rusted a tad you can see and is im sure its steel.

MICRider- in the sun it looks like a deep light orange met. and in the shade or cloud cover its more copper. I tryed to get pics of it showing off the pearl in the paint,,,, heres what it looks like in the shade....(plus it looks better in person then in any light on camera)

Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurrieta
FastDoc- great knowledge thanks,,,but it did make a return from 2007-2009. I used a single stage urethane so its less labor intensive then youd think,,, tones of pearl in it tho.

Weldangrind- mmm u mean the exhaust pipe like?? no mine is rusted a tad you can see and is im sure its steel.

MICRider- in the sun it looks like a deep light orange met. and in the shade or cloud cover its more copper. I tryed to get pics of it showing off the pearl in the paint,,,, heres what it looks like in the shade....(plus it looks better in person then in any light on camera)

Cool! Single stage? That's still catalyzed isn't it?

Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurrieta
Yes, that's what I mean, right where the pipe connects to the head. It's very deceiving, so I encourage you to see if a magnet sticks to it. I thought the header pipe on my XR250R was rusted, but was pleased to find out that it's stainless. I polished it, and it looks great and stays clean now.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #11

That is hot. Thanks for the ideas. Wow.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #12

yep,,, Dupont Nason and yep it runs a catalyst.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #13

Dude, I think I seen this bike for sale in Prince Edward Island? Did you sell it to someone there or are you from there?

I wish I had the coin to go get it, I would LOVE to have it for the missus...and if she wouldn't ride it, I kow someone that would!!