Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #1

Benelli is looking good

I'm looking at and liking the new Benelli TNT600 and TNT300, imported by SSR. I'm surprised I forgot about these guys. Yes it costs $3999. But SSR is running a $300 rebate right now, so it's $3699. And that gets you a bike with a 4-valve, fuel-injected, DOHC, water-cooled twin that makes 34 horsepower at the rear wheel. The TNT600 is in direct competition with the MT-07 and SV650... for $1800 to $1900 less than the MSRP for either of those bikes. (with the current $300 rebate).

Yeah, they're not bargain basement bikes. And they're transformery naked sportbikes. I like the naked, but not the sportbike part. But still... it's a HUGE step in the right direction. Direct competition with the big four, with horsepower numbers that make sense for the American highway, at prices that can't be beat.

If they offered a sport-touring version of the TNT600 with hard cases and a windshield, I'd be tempted.

Charles.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #2

I'm a Benelli fan, I own one. I would hesitate to say that the TNT600 is a competitor to the Yamaha MT-07 though. The Benelli has 34 ft/lb of torque vs: Yamaha's 50 ft/lb. This is a huge seat of the pants difference. The other problem with the Benelli is that there aren't many mods. I don't know of anyone who could reflash the ecu to run a modified exhaust or intake. The Benelli is a great bike and the price is very attractive but the FZ-07 and the SV650 have a cult following for a reason.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #3

Ever see a 4-5 year old Benelli?
I have and what a mess
Quality isn’t there as usual
I had a mate bring his for repairs
Fuel tank rusted plastics bad loads stuff etc
Don’t be so fooled by “looks alone”

Old 05-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #4

I believe it was Motorcyclist Magazine that has an online review of the TNT 600 ,overall they liked it but it was mentioned that it is the lowest HP offering in the 600cc field, while also being the heaviest , at some 34 or so pounds heavier than the MT- 07.
Of course not everyone thinks they are Fast Freddie Spencer and are rightly not concerned with "min/ maxxing" every spec and are just looking for a competent bike.,and for that crowd I am sure the Benelli would do nicely , and at a savings.
The big concern I have with Benellis in general, is the aftermarket simply has not jumped on the bandwagon as of yet so anything you want to do as far as modifying it is going to potentially be an issue ,which is unfortunate because no one i know rides a bone stock motorcycle.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman55 View Post
I'm a Benelli fan, I own one. I would hesitate to say that the TNT600 is a competitor to the Yamaha MT-07 though. The Benelli has 34 ft/lb of torque vs: Yamaha's 50 ft/lb. This is a huge seat of the pants difference. The other problem with the Benelli is that there aren't many mods. I don't know of anyone who could reflash the ecu to run a modified exhaust or intake. The Benelli is a great bike and the price is very attractive but the FZ-07 and the SV650 have a cult following for a reason.
There's a Power Commander kit for the TNT300 and TNT600. So, it has that going for it.

Charles.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #6

I have heard that the TNT300 is heavy because it uses the same frame as the 600. It still looks like a lot of bike for the money, and you can be sure that frame will never break on you.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:19 AM   #7

I have heard the fuel mapping is horrible on them, though. Overly restricted and lean across the board. Also some quality issues here and there.

I still kinda want one.

Charles.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
I have heard the fuel mapping is horrible on them, though. Overly restricted and lean across the board. Also some quality issues here and there.

I still kinda want one.

Charles.
I couldn't have said it better. They are mighty tempting.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #9

I took a test ride on a TNT300 today, and I am thoroughly impressed. I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time! The bike fit me perfectly, it handled and stopped well, and the sound it makes - oh my gawd the SOUND. It's so beautiful and raw and visceral, but not excessively loud. I found myself keeping the bike up near 8000rpm at all times, so I could make that wonderful noise. I didn't feel like the bike was down on power. At least not any more than any other modern fuel injected bike with heavy EPA restrictions. It's way, WAY faster than my Buccaneer - it'll cruise at 80 all day and hills don't bother it one bit. I saw 95mph on the speedo and the bike was still pulling strong, but traffic dictated slowing down. The bike is nimble and light and powerful and fun. I want one!

But.... $4700 out the door. Jesus that's a grand more than the MSRP.

Charles.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:47 PM   #10

"But.... $4700 out the door. Jesus that's a grand more than the MSRP."

That's just not liable to work for Benelli trying to establish themselves in the US market on a larger scale, although it may only be the particular Dealer in question. Tacking on another grand in " greed" puts it firmly in the Jap bike neighborhood cost wise and thats a fight Benelli will not win.

$3700 and i'm considering it hard, $4700 and i'm walking away , while giving you the "one finger salute".

p.s.- i'm glad to hear you liked the bike ,that is good news.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 05-31-2019, 10:56 PM   #11

I'm looking at the breakdown here:

$295 Freight
$3799 MSRP
$1.85 temporary tag and sticker
$12.75 Safety Inspection Fee
$212.44 Title, registration, License, MSI, RTA tax, Highway Use Tax
$128.80 Uncrate, assemble, inspect, service, and test sales unit
$249.00 Fee for document preparation, notarization, titling, processing at DMV
======
$4698.84 Total

That's $685.55 worth of fees, plus the tax tag and title charge which is mandated by the state and county.

It could be worse. My local Honda dealer charged me $900 in fees, PLUS the tax on my SCR950. That said, the dealer who sold me the SSR Buccaneer? He charged me just the tax/tag/title fee. That's it, nothing else. And it was already deeply discounted.

Hrm, I wonder if I could order the Benelli from the SSR dealer, or if he has to be a Benelli dealer too.

At any rate, I'm lusting after the TNT300 now. Great. I already have too many bikes. D'oh.

Charles.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 PM   #12

Also FYI, the Genuine G400C is $5200 out the door from the same dealer. After having ridden both... skip the Genuine. It's less bike for more money.

Charles.