Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

200TMS 200XYI Dirt Bike won't kick over and run

Hey all, this forum is about the only useful information I could find about the type of dirt bike I have in my shed. It says TMS on the engine but from what I read on the forums it's just a knock off of some XR/CRF honda engine with a different branded name.

I have rode the bike about 2 years ago it always had some issues starting.. usually took me about 5 minutes to get it running however once the engine was warm/hot the thing always started in 1 kick. I recently haven't took the bike out for a ride and it's been sitting in the shed for about a year. I never drained the gas but I did drain the oil.

I know this is not the correct way to maintence the bike but it really hasn't even been passed the point of considered being broken in... so I thought everything should be fine on the bike. It has about 4-6 hours total riding time.

The problem I have is when I went out to start it up it actually started to run on the first kick for about 4-5 seconds then just stopped. The funny thing is that every time after that first kick it doesn't seem to kick over like it does on the first kick. I was wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong?

We think it's the spark plug so I have already ordered one and waiting it's arrival but since my knowledge of this bike is little and there isn't much information avaialble what else might cause this to happen if it's not a spark plug? Hopefull the spark plug fixes the problem because I would really enjoy taking it for a spin.

If you can guide me to articles here on china riders or give me some advice I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Edit:
If you need any part numbers or model numbers , pictures or want me to check wires please let me know I'll do my best to give as much information.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #2

First thing is to get rid of all the old gas. Dont forget to put the oil back in it also. Hopefully the carb is not gummed up. Might have to disassemble it and give it a good cleaning.

As far as hard starting when cold, lowering the c-clip on the needle in the carb will help with that. You could do that and clean the carb while its out. A little fresh gas and you should be better than new.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #3

Hi Cal25,

Thanks for response. I am complete noob on this subject... How might I drain the gas the correct way? Is there anything special I need to do before attempting this such as turning the fuel cock off then turning it back on at some point? Is there a wire I need to disconnect to drain the gas or do I have to siphon it?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #4

Look carefully at the float bowl at the bottom of your carb. See if there ie a hose coming out of it - that would be the drain hose. Now look on the float bowl again for a brass screw. Make sure it is on the float bowl and not higher up on the carb. Place the hosein a catch container and loosen the screw, the gas should drain from the tank. It will be rather slow but that also gets the old gas out of the carb.

Also, set the fuel petcock to reserve to get as much fuel out of the tank as possible.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #5

Don't siphon it, just let gravity do the work. Remove the sparkplug wire, put on a pair of gloves, close the fuel valve, remove the hose from the carb and place it in a gas can. I set up the gas can as if I'm going to pour out of the spout, then sit it on the ground next to the bike and place the hose into the spout. Then just open the valve and let the fuel go. The purpose of removing the plug wire is to remind you to replace the fuel line to the carb.

Once you've drianed the fuel, switch the valve to reserve and get the last bit. I take the gas can to our local auto wreckers, and they burn it in the yard trucks.

There should be a hose at the very bottom of the carb that will allow you to drain the bowl. There will be a screw near it that you need to loosen, and the fuel bowl fuel will flow out. Once the carb and tank are empty, it's a really good idea to remove the carb and clean it. Just unscrew the top cap from the carb and leave the cable attached to it. Remove the carb from the intake boot and the air filter box. Once the carb is out, turn it upside down (leave it that way until you're done) and remove the screws that hold the bowl on the bottom. Spray the inside of the bowl and any jets or passages with carb cleaner (I use the stuff at WalMart). The float is held in with a small pivot pin that is not secured when the bowl is off; take care not to lose it.

Which spark plug have you ordered? I agree with Cal25; new fuel and a new plug should make it sing.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #6

Aww, you treed me Cal! You're a faster typist than me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #7

Cali25 Thank you again for your help.

Weldangrind, Thank you for helping as well. You both seem to have given the same information. This will be very helpful to me I appreciate it.

Weldangrind. I wasn't really sure which plug would fit so I just ordered the same plug according to the model number. Which was D8RTC model or part number.

If there was a better plug I wasn't sure which one or it's equivelent so I just payed 5 bucks for the same model. I live in the USA so we have Pep Boys, Auto Zone so if there is better plug do you know which one would fit the 200cc?

Thanks guys

Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #8

I wouldn't use that Torch plug, I'd buy an NGK. Check out this link: http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp...R8EA&x=52&y=16

The DR8EA is a 12mm plug (which means it'll fit), that is a resistor, non projected tip. They're cheap and easy to find. The 8 in the number is the heat range (7 is hotter, 9 is colder).

Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #9

Thanks alot Weldangrind !

I guess I can save the D8RTC for backup or take a 5 dollar loss and run out and get the plug at the local auto store.

I have question you mentioned resistor so is that what I should get in this case. I went to autozone.com and searched your recommended model and I got about 4 results but am not sure which of them is correct even though they all have the same model.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...ame=Spark+Plug

Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #10

I wouldn't use the Autolite or the Champion; maybe try a local motorcycle shop for an NGK. The ones listed on the Autozone site are cross-references, and nothing beats an NGK in this application, IMHO.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #11

Okay great!

Thanks alot guys, I'll get started on this today and if you want to monitor this thread I'll be sure to get back to you on the status. Hopefully she gets running

Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #12

I had an old Honda CL70 that had a weak ignition. It often would foul a plug and not start. NGK plugs would last 3 or 4 time longer than a Champion. I always go with NGK when available now.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #13

Hey guys, I removed the gas thanks to all your help! I didn't touch with the carb just yet. I know you recommend checking that as well but for now I don't want to break anything. I really don't have much experience with that and before I begin to take it apart Im going to put the new spark plug in first with some fresh gas and give her a go either tomorrow or the next day. If it still doesn't start then I guess I have nothing to lose at that point and i'll see if I can clean the carb or buy a new one. Sound like a good idea? Well I'll get back to you guys on the status in a couple days. Thanks again

Old 06-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #14

Fortunately the carbs on these bikes are about as basic as they get.

With alittle help you should be able to clean it yourself.

Also try a napa store for the NGK plug.

Allen

Old 06-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #15

Welcome to these forums; we are glad you joined us! Please do keep us updated!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894